Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PN start to resetted customers DLM Reset  (Read 2416 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: PN start to resetted customers DLM Reset
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »

It's nice that ISP's finally are able to request this. I can certainly imagine ISP's like AAISP using this when a connection needs it :). Maybe in the not too distant future the process will become more automated and relaxed (e.g. more requests can be sent in a single day per ISP), at which point you may then see an option in AAISP's control panel for example :P.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »

And in some cases they are already doing them with apparently no investigation into why the speed had been lowered by the DLM. Perhaps it doesn't even matter and they can just do another reset later. But it may seem to be a bit of a waste of time if it's just going to get banded again.

GaryW

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 05:58:23 PM »

And in some cases they are already doing them with apparently no investigation into why the speed had been lowered by the DLM. Perhaps it doesn't even matter and they can just do another reset later. But it may seem to be a bit of a waste of time if it's just going to get banded again.

Looking at it logically...if the process of requesting a DLM reset becomes fully automated, why not just allow users to request it themselves online?  It then becomes zero cost versus paying a help desk person to chat to the user...  The purpose of DLM is to give users a reliable connection, so if users decide they want to keep resetting DLM just for it to intervene again that's their choice.  And a price worth paying to allow it to be reset for users whose line is stuck in some way due to a problem that's now resolved.

It does seem a little odd that we can do pretty much everything online, but not request a reset of the thing that gets us online  :)
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 10:09:29 PM »

I'm not quite sure if this is being done a little bit blind
Take for eg the last one here which was first requested 3 weeks ago, but didn't work.

We know for a fact that
- The ISP never gets feedback if Openreach reject the reset.
- Any requests  before 19th of Feb will get a Caution counter reset - which in that case it was.
- If the line is on a Huawei cab, then that line will have to go through the default INP 3 stage which can make the line see lower speeds than the cap
- Plusnet don't have access to the current DLM profile and any info they have will be outdated.

We've not seen any full stats for any of those lines.    In fact I'd love to see line stats from any line reset after 19th Feb which is when they changed things.

Some people appear to think that the ability to 'reset lines' only became in on the 19th, but what changed on the 19th was a reset changed from a caution counter reset to a full DLM reset.   We've known for quite a while that a caution counter reset doesn't always remove banding and it would appear Openreach have only recently twigged this  ::)

Why I'd love to see line stats and up to date DLM profiles is because in theory a FULL reset historically returned the line to the Open Profile.   I'd like to know if with the new method if it does go to Open or just means a full fresh start and no INP3 for those on Huawei cabs.

---
ETA just noticed that ejs also thinks PN may be handing them out a bit indiscriminately.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 12:47:58 PM »

Look like the DLM resetted has failed but PN admitted it still on trial and cannot guarantees. 

Customer is unhappy and say

Matthew,

Still no reset been performed,

Can you escalate this request to a supervisor please.

Thanks

RWW

Then PN staff reply

I'm afraid as this is still a trial escalating it to my manager wouldn't make any difference to what's been done already.

After speaking with my colleague who sends the resets off it appears the resets weren't submitted until after the cutoff point for yesterday.

It should go through tonight but I must stress as it's still a trial I can't make any guarantees.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »

It hasn't 'failed' as such .... it simply wasn't input until after the cut-off time.  :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:27:33 PM by Black Sheep »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »

I always swiftly regret looking at the Plusnet forum  :D

Good that this is happening, albeit with some teething trouble. One less thing for people to complain about.

Ktor

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »

I deleted my post that 'admin' saw fit to edit.

You don't get to pick and choose which parts of what I say to publish. Publish all or none.

Deleting the account will be fine. I won't be posting again.

----

Admin: 
Yes we can and do have the right to edit posts.  - See the terms you agreed to when you registered here and the forum  rules.
Especially when we get a moderation report saying that it was a disrespectful comparison to make with a major world event and everyone knows what the abbreviation stood for.
Yet more inappropriate language deleted from this post.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:08:04 PM by kitz »