Computers & Hardware > Other Technologies & Hardware

Alexa

(1/6) > >>

banger:
Considering an Echo or Echo Dot from Amazon. But one thing puzzles me, how does one connect the Echo to wifi without an Apple or Android phone? I have looked at the Amazon page and it says you can use a web browser to connect to wifi but I cannot fathom how this would work with my current setup (DSL-N55U router with wifi password on 2.4 and 5 g). Or would I have to enable a guest network on the router specifically for the Echo's use.

Also was planning on getting an Echo Dot for my bedroom table for music playback and radio listening and if all went well an Echo for the kitchen for similar use. Is this possible? From what I have read it seems you can link your music via spotify which now has my groove music imported into it as the groove and spotify have joined forces.

Any ideas welcome before I spend any money.

Iain:
No need for a guest network, you just need the app and an Alexa account from Amazon - the "app" works on a PC/Laptop all you do is sign into your Alexa account and follow the instructions in the settings section.

If you have Amazon Prime you will also have access to Amazon Music, but for greater music options you may want to subscribe to other streaming providers, including Amazon or Spotify.

You can also connect via Bluetooth and play music from your own device that way.

The sound quality is noticeably better on the Echo, but the Dot is not bad.

Ronski:
You can only link Spotify if you have a Spotify subscription, it won't work with a free account. You can also stream music from your PC/server with the My Media skill.

sevenlayermuddle:
What an interesting question, even for me who has no particular interest in Alexa.  How the heck can the initial set up take place, and how can the web setup talk to the Echo begore it has joined the WiFi. :-\

I think I eventually figured out the answer.   The Echo seems to provide its own wireless network, with an obvious name like ‘Amazon-something’.   During setup, you’ll be given instructions to reconfigure your PC’s WiFi , such that the PC connects to the echo.    That would obviously allow the Echo to be configured.

It won’t work I assume, if your PC just has an ethernet cable, and no WiFi card.

That is my understanding.  If correct, it is amazing that Amazon don’t explain how it works (only how to do it), or explain that it needs a PC with built in Wi Fi.   If incorrect, I hope a better explanation will be provided.... :D

banger:
So to be clear, this is the Amazon App in the Windows Store that can be used to set up an Echo Dot?

Thanks for the tip about Spotify Ronski I only have a free account but Media Skill sounds the way to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version