Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Type 62 Equipment Practice  (Read 1611 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Type 62 Equipment Practice
« on: February 24, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »

I have a liking for the "Type 62 Equipment Practice", of the then GPO telephone service, which dates from -- er -- 1962.

In fact there are two items of test equipment, located in the grotto, which were built to that style -- a Level Measuring Set No 35A and a Level Measuring Set No 36A -- with the classic light straw coloured panels and black control knobs.

With reference to "light straw", I have come across an interesting web-site* which uses both of those words and one of its sub-sections may be of interest to certain kitizens -- Welcome to Light Straw ATE. Exploring the history of the UK Telephone Service, with reminiscences from operators, engineers and staff.

*With thanks to Kitz, our leader, for pointing me to one of the pages which resulted me in looking at the entire sub-section.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Type 62 Equipment Practice
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »

I have a liking for the "Type 62 Equipment Practice", of the then GPO telephone service, which dates from -- er -- 1962.

...........Which was mounted in a 'Rack Apparatus 73' !!

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Type 62 Equipment Practice
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »

The picture of the travelling ladders by the MDF in the picture on the light straw website reminds me of the the time we opened a new stowger exchange replacing a manual switchboard above a post office. The travelling ladders can be 'parked' by sliding them up the exposed section of the vertical pole that can be seen and hooking them to the footrail of the MDF, thus in that position the ladder would be vertical and not touch the floor. The Area Engineer was at the opening and spotted the ladders in their vertical position and remarked that somebody must have ordered the wrong ladders as they wre too short!!!!

anything