Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Maximum number of Wi-Fi client connections on TP-Link W9970  (Read 1289 times)

robnicholson

• Just arrived
Maximum number of Wi-Fi client connections on TP-Link W9970
« on: February 21, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »

This TP-Link modem is very good value for money these days esp. with VDSL2 support. One of my clients is having a nightmare of a time with stability at their bar despite BT changing the BT Hub twice. I've checked out their hardware set-up, e.g. filters in right place, and all appears okay.

However, I've been burnt with a client installing a TD-W8960N which is a pile of poo. I found about 5 repeatable bugs. So am a bit wary about going cheap-n-cheerful!

The two key requirements we're looking for here is stability and being able to handle a reasonable number of Wi-Fi connections at once - it's a bar whereby there will be lots of people coming and going. 30 at once will be fine but the key bug with the TD-W8960N was that it didn't free-up Wi-Fi connections when somebody left the café so quickly using up all the connections - requiring a restart of the router every few hours. And that was with DHCP lease set to 30 minutes.

The other is stability and is where I've found the standard BT Hub problematic, despite many software revisions. The ADSL link going down is sometimes just something you have to put up with. It happens... But the BT Hub seemed often to be able to not recover or just plain crash requiring a manual reboot. For businesses reliant on the link I don't mess around - a Draytek goes in. These are incredibly reliable devices that came be up for months and months - they can cope with the link going down without a problem. But at £125 for the cheapest model, they are overkill.

Or alternative, very open to recommendations for an ADSL Wi-Fi router in the £40-£60 bracket that is stable and can handle ~30 Wi-Fi connections at once and frees them up when people wander off.

Thanks, Rob.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Maximum number of Wi-Fi client connections on TP-Link W9970
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 05:14:51 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I've read your post, twice, and am uncertain if you are asking for advice, giving advice or just stating your findings! I'm sure things will become clear, in due course.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything