Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Threat to Broadband Upgrades as UK Gov Extends Lane Rental Scheme  (Read 1396 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/threat-broadband-upgrades-uk-gov-extends-lane-rental-scheme.html

The UK Government has approved the extension of a controversial new “lane rental” power, which will allow local authorities across England and Wales to charge utility companies by the hour for civil engineering work that causes significant disruption (traffic congestion etc.).

At present the Lane Rental Scheme has only been trialled in London (TfL) and Kent. This allows both to impose a charge of up to £2,500 for each day their roads are occupied by the works. The charge was set at a level that reflected the costs of congestion caused by the works, and that would encourage works promoters to: “reduce the length of time taken to carry out the works; improve planning, coordination and working methods; carry out more works outside of peak times; complete works to the required standard first time.”

However the Government has at least told Local Highway Authorities that new schemes would only be approved if key conditions are met, which includes requiring LHAs to operate a “best in class” permit scheme where “fees are proportionate and the offering of discounts for joint works, full compliance with permitting regulations and guidance and schemes fully supported the delivery of national infrastructure projects like HS2 and full fibre networks roll-out.”

I don't really see this as being a threat to broadband upgrades. I can imagine some councils might try it on. But I think a swift reaction to this by the government as it would be directly undermining the broadband objectives that both the Conservatives and Labour have set out.

I don't know why broadband digging has a bad rep. I can't imagine many people objecting to broadband upgrades/maintenance going on as there is always a chance of a better service (maybe even full fibre!).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Threat to Broadband Upgrades as UK Gov Extends Lane Rental Scheme
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:03:27 PM »

I don't know why broadband digging has a bad rep. I can't imagine many people objecting to broadband upgrades/maintenance going on as there is always a chance of a better service (maybe even full fibre!).

You'd be surprised.   They do.   Look at the massive fuss that was kicked up in some London boroughs about the installation of FTTC cabs a few years back.  ::)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Threat to Broadband Upgrades as UK Gov Extends Lane Rental Scheme
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:36:56 PM »

I can't imagine many people objecting to broadband upgrades/maintenance going on as there is always a chance of a better service (maybe even full fibre!).

Perhaps those people can't imagine many people complaining about broadband!

anything