Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 with ASUS RT AC88U on Vodafone Broadband  (Read 3740 times)

mrgundam

• Just arrived
HG612 with ASUS RT AC88U on Vodafone Broadband
« on: February 17, 2018, 06:33:42 PM »

Evening all,

I have recently moved home and am now on Vodafone Fibre 76mbps (getting 47mbps) and want to use my own ASUS RT ASUS AC88U router which I have Asuswrt-Merlin running on it.

I now have acquired a BT Openreach HG612 Unlocked 3B FTTC modem which I bought on ebay. Apparently it is flashed with C01B030SP08_webgui and has G.INP enabled.

I have also acquired my PPPoE details from Vodafone.

I would like to simply have the HG612 in a bridged mode so my Asus can handle all my local IP addresses, port forwarding, WAN access etc. I have currently one gigabit ethernet cable going from my modem area next to my BT socket, however if needs be could run another to my router which is in my attic.

Questions
1) - Is C01B030SP08_webgui the correct firmware I should be using?
2) - I have managed to log into the HG612 modem but cannot find a bridged mode setting, am I missing something here?
3) - Where is the best place to input my PPPoE settings, the HG612 Modem or my Asus router?
4) - What are the benefits to having 2 ethernet cables going to the HG612? Is it just so you can see the GUI? What benefit does that have?
5) - Anything else I am missing here?

Thanks in advance for any help, I have done some research but a bit stumped at this last hurdle so thought it best to ask than mess something up.  :)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: HG612 with ASUS RT AC88U on Vodafone Broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:33:46 PM »

The modem is already in bridge mode. You need to configure the wan port on the asus and not the modem. select ppoe and enter the login details. connect the wan port to port 1 on the hg612. Your Asus will handle dns,dhcp and all local lan stuff
 the 612 will just be a modem..

If the modem is unlocked correctly  you can obtain line stats if you want to monitor the modem using something like dsl stats from port2. if not you only need to connect port 1 to the asus wan port.
If the asus has been configured correctly it should be able to authenticate and away you go.

hg612 info in case you need it
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm