Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

New line install question

(1/7) > >>

Ixel:
Hi all,
Hoping someone here might know the answer to my question, especially an Openreach engineer.

I'm moving house soon and the master socket is currently located in the dining room. I want it located in the front bedroom, so I've ordered a new line install as SIM provide (though Zen still haven't given me a committed date or the SIM reference and it's been two days now) so I'm thinking of just ordering with AAISP and using the stopped line in the dining room temporarily as it might activate quicker and in time for the house move.

My question is this... if I still have a new line installed by Zen for the phone calls only then will the engineer also move the current master socket if I ask or will he just place a new master socket next to the one in the dining room for the second line?

Black Sheep:
So much confusion around installation 'do's and dont's' ......... I still to this day can't quite get my head around the full rules, but by way of a guide ........

I would definitely confirm with your CP (Not ISP, as you are choosing PSTN services only on the new line), that your connection fee covers the engineers time on-site installing the master socket exactly where you want it ??

Please bear in mind, with any CP and any installation task, the maximum time on a bog-standard task is for the work to take no more than 2hrs to wire from the DP to where you want the master socket.
If it is going to take longer than 2hrs, then we have to send the task back requesting further TRC (Time Related Charges) banding be applied before we go ahead with the installation.

Of course, most residential premises will easily fall under the 2hr remit, but thought it worth a mention.  :)

Ixel:
Thanks Black Sheep.

Yes, I did specify to Zen (who's doing the new line install only, not broadband as that'll be with AAISP) that I want the master socket relocated to another room and they said the order should be placed as a new line installation so an engineer turns up. I did the same for the house I'm currently in about two years ago (new line install) and the engineer relocated the master socket from the kitchen to the front bedroom.

Two hours is more than enough time I believe, I'd be amazed if it took longer than two hours :P. Thanks for mentioning it though.

My main concern is that as I've now placed an order with AAISP for the stopped line to be reactivated, when I eventually get a date from Zen regarding the new line install for voice calls only then will the engineer who turns up be fine with moving the current master socket (that will have AAISP on) to the front bedroom where I also want the new line setup (Zen)? Apologies if that sounds confusing. I'm hoping the two hours remit you mentioned will allow this.

re0:
Someone may be able to provide a better answer as I am not 100% sure (and I am not an engineer), but I think I understood your question.

When you have the second line installed, you can have it installed anywhere within reason; it needs to be accessible by the engineer, and allow the use of existing ducting (if applicable, unless overhead direct to the pole). You just have to make where you want it clear when the engineer turns up.

As for moving the existing master socket, this is not something that can be done during your new [second] line installation appointment since your appointment will be max. three hours and for the new line in itself the engineer will need to make a hole in your wall, connect your drop to an existing pair at the pole (or underground if ducted), carry out works to the cabinet, connect the terminals to your socket and test it before leaving. Ignoring the fact they are installing a different, new service, if they could move the existing master socket they would be bound by the time constraints, and even if they had time they would be working with the existing cabling which would not leave much room for maneuver.

Essentially, if you wanted the master socket moved you would need to request this through the ISP who would probably advise that it is chargeable.

Ixel:

--- Quote from: re0 on February 17, 2018, 11:51:19 AM ---Someone may be able to provide a better answer as I am not 100% sure (and I am not an engineer), but I think I understood your question.

When you have the second line installed, you can have it installed anywhere within reason; it needs to be accessible by the engineer, and allow the use of existing ducting (if applicable, unless overhead direct to the pole). You just have to make where you want it clear when the engineer turns up.

As for moving the existing master socket, this is not something that can be done during your new [second] line installation appointment since your appointment will be max. three hours and for the new line in itself the engineer will need to make a hole in your wall, connect your drop to an existing pair at the pole (or underground if ducted), carry out works to the cabinet, connect the terminals to your socket and test it before leaving. Ignoring the fact they are installing a different, new service, if they could move the existing master socket they would be bound by the time constraints, and even if they had time they would be working with the existing cabling which would not leave much room for maneuver.

Essentially, if you wanted the master socket moved you would need to request this through the ISP who would probably advise that it is chargeable.

--- End quote ---

I see, thanks, yeah that makes sense. I guess I'll just have to leave the master socket(s) in the dining room and run a rather long LAN cable upstairs then. I don't believe there's another way around it other than paying a lot just for an engineer to come out and move the master socket.

I'll see what Zen eventually come back to me with regarding the earliest 'committed date' for installing a new line, I have until March 6th which is when I move in, so maybe there's still enough time. I might be able to cancel the current AAISP order which is currently scheduled to be activated on or by the March 5th (remotely activate a stopped line) and re-order as SIM provide if Zen give me a good enough committed date for the new line install w/ SIM provide.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version