Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Struggling to understand G.INP  (Read 4528 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Struggling to understand G.INP
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »

On 30th January I migrated from ADSL to a FTTC line, and apart from four days when I went back to using the ISP-supplied router, have been uploading stats to MDWS both before and after the change.

At 02:24 this morning DLM applied G.INP to the downstream line, and Error Seconds dropped from approx 60/day to almost zero. At the same time the upstream Error Seconds, which were at the same rate as the downstream, have doubled. In consequence the total Error Seconds have remained approximately constant, but are now loaded onto only one stream.

Can anyone please explain why the US has been affected this way? It's probably very simple, but I am completely new to this.  :baby:  :(

I am blessed by having a good line anyway, and on 40/10 I am well within its  capabilities. My DS sync rate has increased from 39970 to 39999, and the US has remained constant at 9999, so it might be argued that this is only an academic exercise.

But I just like to know!   :graduate:

Thanks.

V_R

• Reg Member
Re: Struggling to understand G.INP
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »

Your line is wasted on 40/10!

You Attainable has jumped from a 'measly' 119kbps to a 'not bad' 124kbps.  :D
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »

Your line is wasted on 40/10!

You Attainable has jumped from a 'measly' 119kbps to a 'not bad' 124kbps:D

I hope that should say 'Mbps'  :lol:

Seriously though, yes it's all going to be pretty academic when the line can easily support well above your contracted rate.
I'm not sure why your US ES has got worse, but it could be no more than it syncing at a slightly lower S/N ratio than you had before.
MDWS should show you this (I really ought to subscribe  :-[).
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »

Gah, yeah sorry. That'll teach me to not type and work at the same time....
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »

Gah, yeah sorry. That'll teach me to not type and work at the same time....

I sympathise - I too can multi-task as long as you accept that output quality will reduce in proportion to the number of tasks I have.  ;D
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »

@tubaman
Could be worse! With me it's proportionate to the square of the number of tasks in hand. ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 05:15:52 PM »

@Westie

Yes, your DLM (RDI) re-synch this morning certainly appears to have applied DS G.Inp as indicated on the main MDWS window and by the DS Interleaving & INP parameters, however, the "data to show" pull down menu is not offering the option to display any of the G.Inp associated parameters which is strange ! (check any other MDWS G.Inp'ed user)

Suppose the first thing to establish is if you now have a "G.INP" tab showing on your DSLStats GUI as should be the case with G.Inp active on your line.

Can't offer an opinion on the US ES rate increase which appears to have coincided with your re-synch / DS G.Inp application other than state this certainly did not occur in my case, however, I do have periodic US "bad noise" days, usually only occur on Saturday's or Sunday's, wait and see if the US ES rate increase is permanant.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:18:20 PM by tiffy »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:27:19 PM »

@Westie

Ref. G.Inp guidance:

You have likely seen this already, but very good general guidance on G.Inp from the kitz/broadband area:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/retransmission.htm

Another area which I did not initially find until directed by a forum member:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm

Gives very good explanations of the G.Inp specific stat's parameters (last paragraph)

Not a definitive answer to your question on increase of US ES rate post G.Inp as such but good general information, I'am sure some of the more knowledgable forum members will be able to offer informed guidance on your original question.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:32:40 PM by tiffy »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 07:50:31 PM »

@Westie

Don't know if you have done anything, re-started DSLStats, re-booted your RPi but you are now fully indicating all G.Inp parameters on MDWS "data options" pull down menu, definately not the case this afternoon, I did check a number of times after reading your post.

You also appear to be on retx low profile which is good, approx 97% data throughput ratio as opposed to approx 91% with retx high profile, low profile would certainly be expected on your line.

Edit: Ref to "data options" should be "data to show" pull down menu.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:23:10 AM by tiffy »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »

Don't know if you have done anything, re-started DSLStats, re-booted your RPi but you are now fully indicating all G.Inp parameters on MDWS "data options" pull down menu, definately not the case this afternoon, I did check a number of times after reading your post.

I suspect that the sudden appearance of the data was due to Tony fixing a "mishap" with the MDWS server;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 11:39:26 PM »

I'd be tempted to give that line a full power down for a short while.

There's some sort of weird jitter.  Look at the downstream SNR/Tone and break down of US Bands. 
May not cure it, but its not unknown on the odd occasion for a line to freak out a bit after a remote resync or power outage.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 11:52:51 PM »

Thanks for all the comments, folks...

@kitz

Following your suggestion, I'll power off for 30 min and see what happens when I come back on.

Bye for now...

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 08:27:53 AM »

I'd be tempted to give that line a full power down for a short while.

Well that worked!  :thumbs: :yay:

There's some sort of weird jitter.  Look at the downstream SNR/Tone and break down of US Bands.

Hmmm. I noticed that saw-tooth pattern ever since I went FTTC. I have no idea what causes it, but it doesn't seem to consistently affect anything else.

The only other thing that may have been having an effect is a SamKnows Whitebox. I've had one on the line for some years, but it has intermittently and persistently failed to connect properly with this router on FTTC (although it was OK on ADSL). Yesterday I finally decided to switch it off, which I did at about 17:30. Last night's power cycle was the first since G.INP without the Whitebox.

I'm tempted to try the Whitebox again...but not for at least a week!

Thanks everyone for your help. I still don't understand fully what was happening, but "freak out a bit" will suffice for now.  ;D

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »

DLM intervened again at 05:10...though I wasn't awake to see it!
Now I have G.INP on both downstream & upstream, and sync at a full 40/10  :yay:

All good things come to those who wait......

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »

very nice. vectoring and g.inp... love the 32.3 snr on the ds... I should imagine your line would go a lot faster than 40/10
Pages: [1] 2

anything