Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG3925 sharing hard drive via USB  (Read 1574 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
ZyXEL VMG3925 sharing hard drive via USB
« on: February 22, 2018, 08:17:07 AM »

Has anyone here tried using the USB connection on the VMG3925 to share either a hard drive or USB stick across their lan? I have tried this and so far not been able to see the drive as a share on the Lan from either my one Windows PC or my Linux PCs. The PCs all share disks on the lan just fine between each other, just that I am not able to see the share on the router. I have searched around and it seems that on some other ZyXELs there is an option to specify the workgroup but not so on the 3925 so I am a bit in the dark as to what is happening. Anyone done this on the 3925?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXEL VMG3925 sharing hard drive via USB
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:05:03 AM »

I have been investigating this some more. While I can access now the shares via Windows although they do not show up on the network screen along with the other shares on the Lan. I had been unable to mount or access the shares on Linux. I have now discovered that I can mount the shares on linux as long as I use the vers=1.0 option for CIFS on the mount command. So it looks like ZyXEL have really messed up by using a very old version of CIFS/Samba which only supports V1 of the protocol. I believe I read somewhere that Linus did not like the security holes in V1 and so removed support for it, at least as a default. So now looking for a way to allow access via V1 on Linux. Tried setting client_min_protocol=smb1 on smb.conf but it refuses to accept it.

I wonder how many other router suppliers with usb device support do the same?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything