Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Package or separarate?  (Read 6250 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: Package or separarate?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »

I contacted them yesterday about moving my domains and received an immediate response, very impressive. Think I'll move one over and try their hosting services out. They are certainly cheaper than my current registrar and email host.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »

Another alternative, also a relatively small uk company.  I suspect they may have moved on a bit since it was written, all the same, their  ‘about us’ blurb is quite endearing...

https://www.vidahost.com/about

Vidahost is founded by Seb and Dom, aged just 16. Wanting a better quality host for their own hobby websites (an Invision Board forum and Harry Potter fan site) they take matters into their own hands and buy a server, selling spare capacity to friends and family to help cover the costs

They were first mentioned to me by Kitz herself, some thread from long ago. :)

I use them just as registrars, though they do web hosting and mail hosting too.   Performance (as registrars at least) has been faultless.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »

Yes I've used Vidahost for a long time now.   I don't know how I originally stumbled across them as they were relatively new at that time, but I was looking for a new host after the likes of 123.reg and easily hadn't been working out because of the amount of site traffic. 
Everywhere else was saying I needed dedicated, but Seb and Dom back in about 2006 put together a bespoke business package for me at a reasonable cost.   Since then, and as the site grew further I've upgraded several times through with them and my experience with them has been on the whole very good.   
However my requirements are obviously more than the average user, so Ive no experience with their general shared type hosting.

-----

Talking of small hosts, there is also our own d2d4j who runs a hosting company and is extremely knowledgeable.   
He offers special rates for members of this forum from time to time which may be worth looking at.    linky
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 09:21:31 PM »

Had a BT line in the days when that was the only provider. Added Claranet broadband in 2002 - migrated to Plusnet in 2008.

Changed line rental to Plusnet in 2010 or 11, mainly because I was increasingly frustrated by BT's labyrinthine bills, and their offshore 'help'-desk. There was the added bonus of a £2·50 discount for having BB & phone. If a fault occurred, there would be no ping-pong battle between the landline and BB providers.

At the moment email is 50-50 ISP & MS/Gmail - gradually migrating all off ISP.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »

Hi

Many thanks kitz for mentioning me. The offer will remain in place should anyone wish to take it up

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 04:38:17 PM »

Tips hat to d2d4j  :hat:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 03:15:45 PM »

UKServers.net aka virtualnames.co.uk

Really bad news. They have either folded or cashed-in / sold out, but anyway they will soon cease to exist, after over 16 years. Taken over by who <random-entity>. So I now have to move a vast number of domain names and some services, and very quickly as time is limited.

[Moderator edited to add the above "headline".]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:36:34 PM by burakkucat »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »

Hi weaver

If you want to take my offer up, please pm me

I hope ronski doesn’t mind, but you could pm the users who have currently taken the offer to ask for their honest opinions so far. Albeit relatively too soon for an long period use

We can handle/transfer as many domains/clients as needed and usually within hours. Our biggest transfer was 238 domains to one of our platforms

Anyway, I wish you well on finding what you

Many thanks

John

Sorry tried pm you before posting here but you’ve blocked me sorry, but I don’t think I’ve pm you before but if I had and upset you, I didn’t mean too sorry

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 05:03:11 PM »

From an article
One trick you may or may not have picked up about Gmail is that you can add in periods anywhere in the front part of your address and it makes no difference whatsoever: john.smith@gmail.com works just the same as johnsmith@gmail.com. What's more, you can add a plus sign and any word before the @ sign (e.g. johnsmith+hello@gmail.com) and messages will still reach you

This caught my eye, as with my PN ISP there are mail boxes for me, my wife etc. Will the same be available, were I to use Gmail in preference to Plusnet?

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 06:34:23 PM »

Really bad news. They have either folded or cashed-in / sold out, but anyway they will soon cease to exist, after over 16 years. Taken over by who <random-entity>. So I now have to move a vast number of domain names and some services, and very quickly as time is limited.
Was in same boat, but only just one domain. :phew: Have taken up John's offer and the experience has been excellent.  :thumbs:
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »

Sorry tried pm you before posting here but you’ve blocked me sorry, but I don’t think I’ve pm you before but if I had and upset you, I didn’t mean too sorry

It's not personal.  :)  Members can choose to switch off PMs in their profile settings, which will block all PM's except from admin. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Package or separarate?
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 11:52:46 AM »

Hi kitz

Ooops sorry. I mainly use Tapatalk so I don’t think I have ever looked at profile settings sorry.

I did think it strange though, as I do not like to pester people and just wanted to keep it off thread if possible

@vic - thank you for your kind words

Many thanks

John

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 02:54:13 PM »

I hope ronski doesn’t mind, but you could pm the users who have currently taken the offer to ask for their honest opinions so far. Albeit relatively too soon for an long period use

I don't mind at all, all went very smoothly, no problems at all just a little learning on my part, but very simple really, administration interface is great, as is the web mail especially with the choice of three web-mail clients. It a big  :thumbs: from me.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 10:11:02 PM »

From an article
This caught my eye, as with my PN ISP there are mail boxes for me, my wife etc. Will the same be available, were I to use Gmail in preference to Plusnet?

If you and your wife use different gmail addresses, you will each have a separate account/mailbox.

If you decide to use 1 gmail account and differentiate your email address using + (such as johnsmith+hello@gmail.com) then you can filter the emails for each '+' into different sub folders,

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »

Thanks. :) Will outgoing mail be separable too?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:55:29 PM by renluop »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything