Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My surge protector extemsion has sockets for broadband  (Read 2108 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
My surge protector extemsion has sockets for broadband
« on: February 10, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »

It is a MasterPlug tower with 10 power sockets, and also for telecom in/out, broadband in/out and LAN in/out.
I bought it as the power outlets were limited and badly placed. Using these ancillaries would in a double cats cradle of cables, so I've ignored them, and those for telecom are not needed, the phone being a DECT slave.

Am I being careless by not using the broadband and Ethernet in/out sockets, or are those sockets just a form of manufacturer marketing overkill? My skepticism and carefulness programs are in conflict.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: My surge protector extemsion has sockets for broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »

My UPS has an RJ11 in/out but I never use it. Unless you want to be cautious of surges over the phone wire then there's no need in my opinion. The only place I did use RJ11 surge protection was at a house in the middle of nowhere which had a router which would no longer sync on ADSL2+.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »

I'd have thought that in comparison with surges in the domestic power supply, those down the phone line would be much lower in incidence. Am I misguided in that assumption? Could there be a downside, even if theoretical,  also to 'breaking' the cable direct from telephone +filter to router?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 06:25:29 PM »

Could there be a downside, even if theoretical,  also to 'breaking' the cable direct from telephone +filter to router?

Yes, exactly that.

Also ask yourself the following questions --
  • Do "MasterPlug" know best about xDSL and Ethernet?
  • Do they know better than the experts in those fields or are they looking for a marketing gimmick as a means to sell more of their products to the gullible?
  • Do you think there will be no effect on xDSL and Ethernet data when such signals are deliberately run in close proximity to mains wiring, wiring that is carrying a significantly greater current then that of the data signals?
Just use the "tower" as a fancy mains extension and nothing more.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:58:29 PM »

So  my skepticism function is in good order then! :D
Oh, and I didn't buy mine for those little extras, I could do without!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:02:40 PM by renluop »