Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC speed upgrade  (Read 1367 times)

shoey

FTTC speed upgrade
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »

Hi,

Just had fibre enable on my line, the dsl checker gave a download estimate of 28-49 Mb, so my provider suggested on going on the up-to 38Mb down 9.5Mb up package as there's a £5 difference and you could always go up if you wanted more speed.

I am really happy with the speed so far but looking at the router stats it looks like it may be worth me trying to go to the faster package as i upload a lot regularly any extra upload would be welcome.

I plan to give it a couple of weeks for the line to stabilize and if the results look promising still it may be worth a punt to go up a package, looking at the current stats anyone think it would be worth it. i'm shoey on MWDS.

Router stats (vmg 1312-b10d in bridge mode):
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:     10.057 Mbps       40.035 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:      9.999 Mbps       39.973 Mbps
          Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
              SNR Margin:       10.3 dB           15.4 dB
            Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
          Transmit Power:        7.6 dBm          13.2 dBm
           Receive Power:       -5.8 dBm          -7.9 dBm
              Actual INP:        0.0 symbols       0.0 symbols
       Total Attenuation:       13.3 dB           21.2 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate:     15.121 Mbps       58.611 Mbps

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: FTTC speed upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 12:41:15 PM »

If it's upload you really want, and it theorises you could potentially gain an extra 5Mbps ..... go for it. There is only one package you could opt for and that's the 80/20 Mbps one.  :)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »

I agree. Based on the attainable you could gain up to 5 Mbps upstream. On the downstream it seems like you could see some improvements also.

Something you want to be aware of before upgrading is that if the fibre cabinet has recently been enabled then things can only go down. What I am implying is that new subscribers will add to the crosstalk and your speed will drop, but by how much depends on how many subscribers with connections that run in in close proximity and various other factors in relation to the line itself. The estimates usually reflect this, but in some cases new cabinets have a greater estimate that the line can handle and sometimes vice-versa. However, the estimates will change based in data collected and in most cases you will be receiving within the range.

Another thing you should be aware of is that if you upgrade then your SNR margins will be a lot lower (by default this will be 6db, and your DLM will also be reset) since you no longer have speed capped so there is a smaller gap between you and background noise (and interference). While this in itself may not present any immediate issues, if your line is encountering many errors then the DLM will take action and may apply interleaving which will raise the latency (may be detrimental if you play competitive games). However, I can see that your modem supports G.INP (impulse protection), so it should apply this if your cabinet has it enabled. But your errors rate looks fine at the moment and I cannot see anything concerning.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

shoey

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:37:25 AM »

Thanks guys,

Ill keep an eye on the line and see where we are in a months time, as the majority of people may not upgrade. G.INP has been applied on my line in less than 2 days, and the max line rate is now 61 and 16.

anything