Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best strategy with G.INP now being rolled out on ECI cabinets  (Read 2235 times)

GaryW

Best strategy with G.INP now being rolled out on ECI cabinets
« on: February 10, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »

I'm trying to decide on my best strategy now that G.INP is being rolled out on ECI, and would welcome advice from those in the know!

My line used to have lots of RFI from sources in my house, which I fixed about 4 months ago.  At the time my line was banded at 11399, and this has slowly been lifted by DLM - currently at 14999, where it's been since December.  I experienced sporadic "yellow" days in the intervening months, but generally the line is very "green".  I've just capped my DS sync at 13000 to reduce errors even further to see if this encourages DLM to kick in sooner and raise the banding again.

However, now that G.INP is being rolled out, and xDb, am I better sticking with the 13000 cap, or letting sync go back to 14999 and seeing what happens when G.INP comes to my cabinet?  (I'm wondering if banding is relaxed more quickly anyway once G.INP is activated, or at least in the early days?)
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Best strategy with G.INP now being rolled out on ECI cabinets
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:01:11 PM »

Perhaps you might re-test which modem/chipset works best on your line with retransmission on ECI?

GaryW

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 04:31:58 PM »

Perhaps you might re-test which modem/chipset works best on your line with retransmission on ECI?

That's definitely an option after G.INP is enabled and I've figured out the best I can get with my broadcom-based Billion.   Currently trying to work out what the best approach is to achieve that.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:52:53 PM »

Or you could now ask for a DLM reset to get rid of the banding?

GaryW

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 10:16:43 PM »

Or you could now ask for a DLM reset to get rid of the banding?

I tried that on the BT forum, but the two responses from so-call "sages" were: a) you can't do that, and b) you may be able to but there's no process!  Seems that (unsurprisingly) there's way more knowledge out here that there is within some of the ISPs.  I suppose I could just call BT customer service, but I can't face the usual "are you using a BT router, please can you restart it, are you connected to the test socket, etc" as their level of knowledge seems to be lower still...

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:31:16 PM »

I spoke to one of the BT Community forum moderators earlier today about a different issue and was told that they can't yet request DLM resets.

ISP Review suggests that the DLM reset functionality is being officially released from the 19 February.

I guess BT Retail would then have to release an internal process for their staff to use it/request DLM to be reset.

In my experience, the forum moderators have always been very good/helpful - so if they don't know about it - its not something a random customer service staff member will be able to access either.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 10:35:40 PM »

AFAIK BT Retail were 1 of the ISP's trialling the caution counter reset procedure, which would have the same outcome. The forum staff seem oblivious to the existence of the trial.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »

From the info I had  BTr were not one of the original trialists (see original thread on the trial).
It is only within the past 2 weeks that it has been extended to BTr and PN.  Because it has to be requested manually and afaik there is still not any automated process in place, then the number of staff who are aware of this is likely to be minimal.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything