Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ability to Reset Openreach FTTC Broadband DLM Profiles Arrives  (Read 5230 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Ability to Reset Openreach FTTC Broadband DLM Profiles Arrives
« on: February 05, 2018, 11:53:05 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ability-reset-openreach-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-arrives.html

At present if an ISP feels that the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) profile for a UK Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC / VDSL2) based broadband line needs a reset then it usually requires an Openreach engineer visit, but progress is being made on a new remote reset solution.

The DLM system is used to control the performance and stability of related lines, which in practice means that your speed may go up or down depending upon how stable / error prone DLM thinks the line is. Broadly speaking the DLM system on Openreach’s FTTC network works pretty well, although sometimes a connection’s profile may become stuck at a lower level or other problems can occur that might benefit from a profile reset.

The briefing itself isn’t public, although ISPs inform us that it does indeed extend the trial from a caution counter reset to a full DLM reset, which should fix banding problems and some other issues with DLM profiles; assuming of course that the original underlying problem has been resolved first. We understand that this change will come into play from the 19th February 2018.

This is a big step forward and will be interesting to see if this improves customers experience when trying to fix sync speed connections.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Ability to Reset Openreach FTTC Broadband DLM Profiles Arrives
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »

As I posted on there:

This is a huge step in the right direction, I never thought I’d see this day coming. I expect some reputable ISP’s like AAISP will be using this option every so often if a customer reports that their connection is banded or has been stuck on interleaving for some time.

Are there still certain requirements for being eligible to submit a request DLM reset though I wonder? From what’s said here I assume the only thing that now applies is the limit of 1000 connections per ISP per day and that it’s at the ISP’s discretion to grant a DLM reset for the connection.

[Moderator edited to insert the link.]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:48:06 PM by burakkucat »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 02:05:33 PM »

From what I have vision of, it would appear there isn't a criteria to be met now ............ it is as you have mentioned, the max is 1,000 ccts a day.

Now, that was the amount use during the trial, so whether that may be opened up to a larger figure, who knows ... ??

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:41:29 PM »

This sounds like great news but then read 1000 per day per ISP.  Is that correct? So an ISP has 1000 customers they can all have a reset but an ISP with 800000 users can still only have 1000 resets?  If that is the case it has BT written all over it.  Typical bt logic - unbelievable!  I hope I am not understanding correctly which wouldn't surprise me!

Edit: I guess 1000 per day is probably a big number (not knowing any stats) but not basing this on a % seems wrong
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:48:03 PM by ktz392837 »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »

This sounds like great news but then read 1000 per day per ISP.  Is that correct? So an ISP has 1000 customers they can all have a reset but an ISP with 800000 users can still only have 1000 resets?  If that is the case it has BT written all over it.  Typical bt logic - unbelievable!  I hope I am not understanding correctly which wouldn't surprise me!

Edit: I guess 1000 per day is probably a big number (not knowing any stats) but not basing this on a % seems wrong

My guess would be that they kept the 1000 limit for now so they can assess what kind of impact this has over time. There's always a possibility it could be raised later on, "never say never" :). At least it sounds like the criteria was removed though, so that's another step in the right direction as long as the ISP's don't appear to end up abusing this somehow.

From what I have vision of, it would appear there isn't a criteria to be met now ............ it is as you have mentioned, the max is 1,000 ccts a day.

Now, that was the amount use during the trial, so whether that may be opened up to a larger figure, who knows ... ??

I see, thanks :). All good news.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »

Under what logic do you come to that conclusion?
Such a policy will advantage small ISP's and massively disadvantage BT, who by far have the most customers.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »

Question...

A DLM reset, is that just the assigned user port or the whole card?
I would hope port, so no other users are affected.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 04:10:55 PM »

It's the DLM line profile for that line only.
It would have no effect to the DLM profile of other users connected to the DSLAM.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »

Under what logic do you come to that conclusion?
Such a policy will advantage small ISP's and massively disadvantage BT, who by far have the most customers.
Isn't this the point I am trying to make though saying a % would be better?

With my then calm hat on though I was just thinking 1000 resets a day may be plenty even with isps with hundreds of thousands of customers - without stats I do not know.  Why complicate if a hard limit is more than plenty.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »

Isn't this the point I am trying to make though saying a % would be better?

With my then calm hat on though I was just thinking 1000 resets a day may be plenty even with isps with hundreds of thousands of customers - without stats I do not know.  Why complicate if a hard limit is more than plenty.

It is as pointed out above .... a way of getting a 'feel' for this new concept. Let's give it a whirl before 'we' jump on the BT bashing bandwagon .............. again !!  ;)

Oldjim

• Reg Member
Jim
Plusnet

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »

Don't think there's anything new which we hadn't already discussed here in either the original thread or Max's thread, other than actual confirmation that it had been extended to more ISPs.

Max was not the first to get it done, just the first for Plusnet. One of our other forum regs, atkinsong got a reset with BTr on the 23rd of Jan.
I knew from our first discussion on it that it was intended to be extended to other BTw based ISPs, just didn't know when. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 08:11:24 PM »

1,000 per day per ISP was the figure quoted during the trial.  In view of the fact that there are other criteria to be met then 1,000 per day is actually quite a large number.    I'd expect the smaller ISPs to actually only need to do a handful per day.

----------
ETA

Bearing in mind the first ISPs to trial it were TT & Sky.  If they managed OK during the trial then I should imagine most will do fine.
I tried to drop a massive hint in the original thread who the ISP's were without actually naming them.   But the fact I said a couple of GEA ISP's and not BTr/Plusnet was the clue.   I think I said somewhere in that that it was hoped to be extended to BTw based ISPs and make it more automated.   I don't think they've got to the automated stage yet and it may still involve emailing lists.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:29:34 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »

1,000 per day per ISP was the figure quoted during the trial.  In view of the fact that there are other criteria to be met then 1,000 per day is actually quite a large number.    I'd expect the smaller ISPs to actually only need to do a handful per day.

----------
ETA

Bearing in mind the first ISPs to trial it were TT & Sky.  If they managed OK during the trial then I should imagine most will do fine.
I tried to drop a massive hint in the original thread who the ISP's were without actually naming them.   But the fact I said a couple of GEA ISP's and not BTr/Plusnet was the clue.   I think I said somewhere in that that it was hoped to be extended to BTw based ISPs and make it more automated.   I don't think they've got to the automated stage yet and it may still involve emailing lists.

There's other criteria for this as well? I was under the impression that a request could now be made (well, once this is live that is) without criteria needing to be met, except for the 1000 limit of course.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »

But the fact I said a couple of GEA ISP's and not BTr/Plusnet was the clue.   I think I said somewhere in that that it was hoped to be extended to BTw based ISPs and make it more automated.   I don't think they've got to the automated stage yet and it may still involve emailing lists.

BTw were indeed invited into the trial, and as far as I can see it is still subject to mailing lists, but with no criteria to be met.

Pages: [1] 2

anything