Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: “Pinging” people  (Read 3514 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
“Pinging” people
« on: February 04, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »

I have noticed more and more people seem to use the term ‘pinging’ to refer the activity of sending a text or email message to confim mutual whereabouts and/or intentions.   Eg “Ping me when you are on the train”.

I would pedantically insist that “ping” is the incorrect term, unless both persons involved had a somewhat enhanced version of ICMP implemented, either at birth or as a subsequent software update.

Can’t make up my mind whether to feel strong strongly about this, but I might.   Any other views?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: “Pinging” people
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 11:44:29 AM »

Hi 7lm

I would keep it in context and let it go

No one has ever asked me to ping them a text, but if they did I would just smile

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »

I absolutely agree with you, but it's just another terminological misuse among many others. You're fighting against an unstoppable tide in which technical accuracy is of little importance.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »

This and a lot of other 'modern' terms annoy me intensely but there is nothing one can do about it. Sometimes I deliberately misinterpret people when they use these kind of terms in order to make a point and hopefully wind them up  ;D  :P

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »

At least there seems to be broad agreement that “ping” in that context is open to criticism, I feel that my gripe is justified. 

As has been inferred, no point in getting too stressed.   I may add it the list of things for which allow myself a little bit of a grump when nobody is listening, but will try not to obsess. :)

And in fairness to those who abuse the language with such terms, heaven forbid they might turn the tables and pick on me, I am sure they’d find plenty of my own linguistic bad habits to mock and complain about. ::)

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:06:03 AM »

I'd add it to your "when I'm king/queen of England" list @7LM

!!!!

;)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 11:17:56 AM »

...I am sure they’d find plenty of my own linguistic bad habits to mock and complain about. ::)

Well, now you mention it,

As has been inferred, no point in getting too stressed.

inferred implied   :graduate:
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 11:27:37 AM »

Nice one  :D
  Eric

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:31:41 AM »

I would keep it in context and let it go
Indeed, particularly these days when language is so abused. My particular bęte noire is the use of the past participle instead of the gerund. It never sounds correct to my ear and conveys a completely different meaning to me.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »

The classic protocol for finding computer users' availability was finger. We ought to be thankful that people are just pinging each other nowadays.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »

:lol: Unless you're a Hollywood mogul!
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »

I'm not at all into Twitbook etc, but I think I'd rather be fingered or pinged than poked.  ::)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »

The classic protocol for finding computer users' availability was finger. We ought to be thankful that people are just pinging each other nowadays.

:o :lol:

Well, now you mention it,

inferred implied   :graduate:

Not so sure I agree, is “inferred” wrong in that context? :-\ 

I used “inferred” rather than “implied” as I was referring to a conclusion I had drawn from comments that were pretty unambiguous, I had merely put the collection of unambiguous comments into my own words, hence I “inferred” that conclusion, did I not?. 

To me, “implied” have suggested that I was drawing an assumed conclusion from things that had not been clearly stated.

Right or wrong about inferred vs implied, at least I was proven right in my prediction... essentially, that I am no more perfect than the next person, and would easily be proven so.   :D

And doubtless I will be shown to be wrong again.   Anybody care to nit pick over single/double quotes, for example?   But before anybody tries too hard, I have my ace card/excuse to play... I am proud to be an Engineer.  Entrance requirement was English to ‘Scottish Higher’ (a bit less demanding than an ‘A’ level), mission accomplished many years ago.    :)

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 09:53:17 PM »

As a fellow Engineer, I always understood that you implied something by what you (indirectly) said or wrote. Others would then infer their own conclusions from what they heard or read.

But there's a good chance they would infer a different conclusion from what I implied.  ;D

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 09:59:32 PM »

Coming back to the original post, /ping username has been around for a long time in IRC. I am not sure when it was invented but /ping was stable by the first RFC 1459 in 1993.
Pages: [1] 2