Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Upgrading Raspbian Jessie to Stretch  (Read 2701 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Upgrading Raspbian Jessie to Stretch
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:57:02 PM »

One old RPi Mk 1B and two RPi Zero W's, all running DSLStats to MDWS, all running Raspbian Jessie without any issues.
(3 different users, lines)

Question, should I bother to upgrade the operating system to Stretch ?

I carried out a trial run on a spare RPi 3 using instructions here:
https://linuxconfig.org/raspbian-gnu-linux-upgrade-from-jessie-to-raspbian-stretch-9

Was quite a long procedure even on the RPi 3, would imagine it would be much longer on my RPi Mk 1 B or the RPi Zero's.
DSLStats still ran OK after the upgrade but Wi-Fi support was missing, an issue frequently reported on the instructions I followed.

I did not investigate further as I came to the conclusion that Stretch would be of little benefit over Jessie as my application requirements are only one service (DSLStats) and very limited utilities.

I could of course carry out a full clean install of Stretch which would likely work but again don't think it's worth the effort for extra program facilities I don't need and would likely put more pressure on my somewhat modest RPi's. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:01:49 PM by tiffy »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Upgrading Raspbian Jessie to Stretch
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »

No.  :no:

Just ensure that you keep the current OS up-to-date. When it goes EOL (end of life) then perform a clean installation of the current long term support version.

As for keeping the OS up-to-date, I perform the following (once per month) --

aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade
aptitude autoclean
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:53:46 PM »

b*cat, thanks for the tips.

Yes, I do carry out fairly frequent system updates especially before any DSLStats program revision changes.
I must admit the commands you listed are unfamiliar to me, lots of things Linux are, I would normally use:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 12:35:20 AM »

"sudo" will elevate your powers to that of the super-user as a one-off for the command line. I operate my R-Pi headless and access it via "ssh" as "root", hence I have no need to use "sudo".

As for my usage of "aptitude" compared with your usage of "apt-get" I'll leave it with you . . . "man aptitude" and "man apt-get" are the two commands I'll suggest you invoke.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 07:00:03 PM »

No.  :no:

Just ensure that you keep the current OS up-to-date. When it goes EOL (end of life) then perform a clean installation of the current long term support version.

As for keeping the OS up-to-date, I perform the following (once per month) --

aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade
aptitude autoclean

Yes, I had a play with the commands you suggested, prefixed by sudo in my case, on my RPi 3 test bed now running the updated Stretch OS.

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade initially produced errors and suggested applying suffix --full-resolver
This cured the errors and subsequent command applications did not require the --full-resolver suffix or produce any further errors.

I bow to your superior Linux knowledge and appreciate the assistance, will deploy this method in future, many thanks.

anything