Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Canon printers - support and costs  (Read 8033 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Canon printers - support and costs
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 07:23:20 AM »

The standard version of Vuescan doesn't stop working after a year - all that happens is that you don't get updates. One licence covers up to four computers, so a single standard licence would meet your needs unless you buy a new scanner which isn't covered by the version you have.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 08:49:49 AM »

The standard version of Vuescan doesn't stop working after a year - all that happens is that you don't get updates. One licence covers up to four computers, so a single standard licence would meet your needs unless you buy a new scanner which isn't covered by the version you have.

Thing is, macOS generally gets a major release every year.   I am sure they try to maintain compatible interfaces, but these updates have been substantial enough for Canon’s own drivers to require updating.  I don’t think I can be sure Vuescan will be compatible with these future versions of macOS, I would anticipate that a Vuescan update may sometimes also be needed.  It would be a bit like expecting the version of Vuescan written for Win 95, to still work with Windows 10.   

Re licence

https://www.hamrick.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/can-i-use-vuescan-on-more-than-one-computer.html

If more than one person (who isn't a family member) uses the computer, then you need a separate VueScan license for each computer.

Usually, business use is not regarded as “family”.   It may be the case that I’d not get caught, but that’s a different matter - it does read to be as if legitimate use would require two licenses.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »

Interestingly, when I visit Canon support downloads, to view drivers for their current range of Pixma home/photo printers, for current macOS High Sierra, or any macOS in the past few years, I get...

This product is compatible with the operating system selected via AirPrint only. It is not required to install a driver.

Hmm, my expectation was that AirPrint might be a neat party trick to facilitate printing from an iPad or an iPhone, but not any substitute for a proper print driver when printing from a desktop.   Can an AirPrint printer access duplex printing for example, or choose all the obscure print options?  I assumed not, but maybe it can?

A brief Google does suggest my expectations were wrong, and maybe AirPrint does provide full functionality from a Mac. In which case maybe ongoing Canon driver support is maybe less of an worry these days.  I'd also want the printer to be on wired ethernet, not WiFi. I'm fairly sure that's OK, but how to be certain?

Perhaps a visit to an Apple store might be in order, test the knowledge of the sales reps, and ask to see a demo of AirPrint being used from a Mac.  :-\

Or at very least, make sure I buy any printer from a supplier with good returns policy! :-X
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:00:04 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 06:22:25 PM »

Is Airprint related to CUPS at all? I know nothing about it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 07:03:28 PM »

Is Airprint related to CUPS at all? I know nothing about it.

I don’t think so.

My understanding is that Airprint was initially developed by Apple as a dumbed down UI for quick and easy printing from mobile devices.   The printer manufacturers simply had to implement the protocol, and it all worked.   And credit for that, it was useful.

It seems to have been extended to iMacs too, with a bit more functionality but I suspect, nowhere near the functionality of an OEM hardware-specific printer driver.     Unfortunately printer manufacturers seem to have cottoned on to the fact that, although Airprint is dumbed down, it is a lot less bother for their own developers and is good enough, as 90% of their ‘consumer level’  customers are really quite dumb, and so happy with ‘dumbed down’.

The real high end photo printers from Canon, as used by professionals, and way out of my price bracket, still seem to get a dedicated driver.   The rest of us have to make do with Airprint, it seems. :(

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »

Have you thought about using a Raspberry PI as a print server/scan, found this link below.
As your printer is supported by Cups print drivers and the scanner by Sane.

https://samhobbs.co.uk/2014/07/raspberry-pi-print-scanner-server

Whoops :-[ still needs to have a driver....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:42:12 AM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »

Thanks but just to re-emphasise, my old printer does still just about work with latest macOS, and I can scan too by VNC to an old Mac Mini, running earlier OS.   So there is no urgent work arounds needed, I already have one. :)

What I need to work out is whether Canon support for new year printers on macOS is up to scratch, for current or future versions.   But if I decide it is not, I'll just buy a different manufacturer - decision not yet made.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »

What I need to work out is whether Canon support for new year printers on macOS is up to scratch, for current or future versions.   But if I decide it is not, I'll just buy a different manufacturer - decision not yet made.

The other question you also need to consider is whether the alternatives (presumably HP or Epson) or any better at continuing to support their printers on macOS.

I've stopped using an old Canon simply because it was a bit of a pain to keep running.  Our son has currently donated us a Canon MG3550, which works fine, but I hate the lack of a display screen and the need to look up what the flashing warning lights mean.  Also prefer multiple colour cartridges rather than the combined one this printer uses.

Tempted as I am to upgrade, it doesn't feel very ecologically sound to keep on discarding perfectly serviceable printers, just to go upgrade.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 05:23:32 PM »

Indeed, other manufacturers may be no better.

And I do agree, shame to chuck the old one when still works.  Especially as Inkjet technology doesn’t seem to move fast.   By about 2005-2010 I reckon inkjets had become incredibly good, and I’m not sure they have (or even could have) improved much more since then.   Biggest difference is, new ones seem to have much less ink in their cartridges, which is another reason to stick with old.

Then again, a nine year old printer ain’t done bad.   If I can find a new one, that overcomes my driver concerns, I think I can justify that indulgence.    :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 06:35:16 PM »

If it still works there is no need to chuck it away, either sell it or give it away on Freecycle  :)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 06:01:36 AM »

I am definitely interested in a Canon airprint printer given that I am printerless right now, because I simply can't get the current Epson to work with airprint. (I have a support case open with apple but they insisted on using an antique device called a telephone and I was far too ill to cope with it so progress stalled then died.) - Discussed in other thread.

But which Canon model? Janet will probably want an all-in-one unfortunately. She uses an ipad exclusively. (I have no idea how scanners might work with ios.)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »

But which Canon model? Janet will probably want an all-in-one unfortunately. She uses an ipad exclusively. (I have no idea how scanners might work with ios.)

Worth pointing pointing out that iOS 11 Notes App supposedly includes a scanner using the camera.   Hit ‘+’ to add a new note, you get invited to scan documents.  Not tried it yet, myself.
Pages: 1 [2]