Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Firebrick FB2900  (Read 6789 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Firebrick FB2900
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 11:45:56 PM »

Have you also ordered the rack-mount kit?  :-\

Once it has been installed I would appreciate an updated picture of your rack, please.

Yes, as I want to put it inside my cabinet. I'll upload a picture once it's done.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 11:59:50 PM »

Yes, as I want to put it inside my cabinet. I'll upload a picture once it's done.

Thank you. I always appreciate a good picture of networking equipment.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »

Bad news, it's not arriving today like I thought. The delivery was delayed because the order was taking a payment via direct debit. Spoke to someone at AAISP and I've now sent AAISP a separate payment via bank transfer instead which I'm told will also cancel the pending direct debit payment.

I was also initially told that due to high demand there will be a delay on shipping, but since then I've now been told that once they see the manual payment I sent to their bank account some moments ago then it should be despatched later today for delivery tomorrow. One thing still slightly puzzles me, it says Royal Mail Tracked 48 (not 24?) and that is what I've now paid for, so perhaps they'll just do 24 anyway given the unfortunate misunderstanding with the order. It's all becoming slightly more confusing than it should've been.

Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow!

EDIT: Got a tracking number now, I don't know if it's 24 or 48 hours though so I'll find out soon enough. If it's actually 48 hours then it will most likely turn up Monday or Tuesday of next week (sigh), but if it's 24 hours then it should arrive tomorrow (hopes!).

EDIT: It's Royal Mail Tracked 24, woohoo! Just waiting to see Royal Mail's tracking say that they have it, at the moment it still says "item expected".
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:27:36 PM by Ixel »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 01:07:39 PM »

It arrived about an hour ago and it appears to be all setup now. I thought it would be more difficult to configure but apparently it was quite easy, even the NAT side of things was easy (as I wanted LAN IP's and public static IP's to work on the same router, like on the EdgeRouter, which some routers can't do). Bonding works perfectly.

I'll post a written review and some pictures hopefully later today of it unboxed and then in the cabinet.

Ping is slightly higher as I'm on 5GHz wifi for the moment, only by possibly 2 milliseconds or so though.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 06:19:57 PM »

That is a lot cheaper then than my FB2700 and FB2500. I paid around £900 for a fully loaded FB2700 from AA, can't remember what the FB2500 cost.

Can't afford an FB2900 having spent £1350 on oriental kittens (truly) this year. In any event, even the fb2500 is more than fast enough for my low-speed DSL. The FB2500 is enjoying retirement although it was in use again for many months last year after a lightning strike.

FB2700 runs extremely hot. The cpu is not thrashing, checked. I hope they fix that with the new model, make sure to give it masses of ventilation. I now have mine mounted above a big hole so air can rise unimpeded from below and leave the top plate easily. Before I moved it, the FB2700 was on top of a switch, which was not hot, but presumably didn't help matters at all.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »

That is a lot cheaper then than my FB2700 and FB2500. I paid around £900 for a fully loaded FB2700 from AA, can't remember what the FB2500 cost.

Can't afford an FB2900 having spent £1350 on oriental kittens (truly) this year. In any event, even the fb2500 is more than fast enough for my low-speed DSL. The FB2500 is enjoying retirement although it was in use again for many months last year after a lightning strike.

FB2700 runs extremely hot. The cpu is not thrashing, checked. I hope they fix that with the new model, make sure to give it masses of ventilation. I now have mine mounted above a big hole so air can rise unimpeded from below and leave the top plate easily. Before I moved it, the FB2700 was on top of a switch, which was not hot, but presumably didn't help matters at all.

I see. Yeah mine's fine, not getting warm to touch last I checked. PCB temperature averaging around 35C :).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »

I am rather unimpressed with the documentation. I stopped counting, at twenty, at the number typos, spelling and grammatical errors.

As for being a User Manual for the FB2900 it certainly is not.  :no:  It reads as a very tedious and poorly thought out lecture.

Very disappointing.  :(

[Edited to insert an "at" that had "got away"!]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:27:06 PM by burakkucat »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 05:03:33 AM »

@burakkucat - should let RevK know about docs. He's famously keen on ‘doing the right thing’. The docs for the FB2700 have a number of holes imho, places where more clarification would be helpful.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:44 AM »

I stopped counting, at twenty, the number typos, spelling and grammatical errors.

The pedant in me questions whether there is something odd about that sentence!  ;)

But I agree about the documentation; it appears not to have been proof-read at all. Unfortunately that then creates the impression that the quality of the device itself may also be lacking.

Edit: To correct my own typos!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:57:51 AM by Westie »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »

A job for ideas.aa.net.uk ?

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 12:14:21 PM »

Done, although I doubt it will be followed up.  :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 05:18:19 PM »

The pedant in me questions whether there is something odd about that sentence!  ;)

Questioning should not be required. There is, clearly, something wrong in that sentence.  :paperbag:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 05:25:15 PM »

@burakkucat - should let RevK know about docs. He's famously keen on ‘doing the right thing’.

Then perhaps he would care to employ me, to correct his mishaps!

I own a second generation Firebrick, a FB105, and the documentation for that device is also peppered with typos. Considering how old a design and how long ago it was when the FB105 was first made available to purchase, I would have thought that the documentation would have long been "fixed".

Pages: 1 [2]