Announcements > News Articles

Openreach target FTTP for 3 Million Premises by 2020

(1/3) > >>

gt94sss2:

--- Quote ---Openreach (BT) has today announced that they intend to deploy Gigabit capable “full fibre” (FTTP) ultrafast broadband to 3 million premises in 8 major UK cities by 2020 via their new ‘Fibre First‘ build programme, which is up from the current target of 2 million by the same date.

This will require them to recruit and train a further 3,000 field engineers in 2018.

The 8 Major UK Cities
Birmingham
Bristol
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Leeds
Liverpool
London
Manchester

The accelerated rollout plan for 3 million premises will eventually connect up to 40 UK towns, cities and boroughs with FTTP
--- End quote ---

More at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/openreach-aim-fttp-broadband-3-million-premises-8-uk-cities.html and https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7937-3-million-openreach-full-fibre-premises-planned-by-2020

Ixel:
Interesting to hear, but not even close to where I live. Maybe in a decade or two it'll spread to more than just over a handful of cities :P.

Bowdon:
It is encouraging that the message from OR is that we need to be heading towards FTTP. That is a big shift from even a couple of years ago when they hardly talked about FTTP in the mass market.

I'm not in those cities. But I come under Greater Manchester. Hopefully they will build out from Manchester. I know there is full fibre in Manchester city centre.

I remember typing to a guy on an American forum and AT&T were going around upgrading peoples copper lines to full fibre. They did it in staged areas and give the customers a date which the copper would be turned off and their phone would be transferred to a voip setup. The only problem for him is he was on an ADSL package and his dialup modem stopped working. But when he called them to ask what happened they moved him free of charge to a full fibre package for the same price with increased speeds. So he wasn't complaining. I think that is what will eventually happen here. It should be easier for us as it can be done on an exchange basis.

Black Sheep:
Lets hope Ignitionnet sees this ....  ;) ;D

This is great news and believe me, just the start ............ our latest e-mail from Clive is covered by NDA (as it always is these days), but I'm sure they wouldn't mind it being said that we are going to be hiring another 3,000 engineers in the next financial year for this particular latest announcement, and the bigger picture !!!

Now THAT is hopefully starting to sound like serious investment to some of you out there ??!!

Ronski:
This is great news, lets hope it progresses well, but I will be switching to VM soon as they have installed full fibre outside my house  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version