Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach target FTTP for 3 Million Premises by 2020  (Read 3401 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Openreach target FTTP for 3 Million Premises by 2020
« on: February 01, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »

Openreach (BT) has today announced that they intend to deploy Gigabit capable “full fibre” (FTTP) ultrafast broadband to 3 million premises in 8 major UK cities by 2020 via their new ‘Fibre First‘ build programme, which is up from the current target of 2 million by the same date.

This will require them to recruit and train a further 3,000 field engineers in 2018.

The 8 Major UK Cities
Birmingham
Bristol
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Leeds
Liverpool
London
Manchester

The accelerated rollout plan for 3 million premises will eventually connect up to 40 UK towns, cities and boroughs with FTTP

More at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/openreach-aim-fttp-broadband-3-million-premises-8-uk-cities.html and https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7937-3-million-openreach-full-fibre-premises-planned-by-2020

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach target FTTP for 3 Million Premises by 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 10:41:34 AM »

Interesting to hear, but not even close to where I live. Maybe in a decade or two it'll spread to more than just over a handful of cities :P.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »

It is encouraging that the message from OR is that we need to be heading towards FTTP. That is a big shift from even a couple of years ago when they hardly talked about FTTP in the mass market.

I'm not in those cities. But I come under Greater Manchester. Hopefully they will build out from Manchester. I know there is full fibre in Manchester city centre.

I remember typing to a guy on an American forum and AT&T were going around upgrading peoples copper lines to full fibre. They did it in staged areas and give the customers a date which the copper would be turned off and their phone would be transferred to a voip setup. The only problem for him is he was on an ADSL package and his dialup modem stopped working. But when he called them to ask what happened they moved him free of charge to a full fibre package for the same price with increased speeds. So he wasn't complaining. I think that is what will eventually happen here. It should be easier for us as it can be done on an exchange basis.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »

Lets hope Ignitionnet sees this ....  ;) ;D

This is great news and believe me, just the start ............ our latest e-mail from Clive is covered by NDA (as it always is these days), but I'm sure they wouldn't mind it being said that we are going to be hiring another 3,000 engineers in the next financial year for this particular latest announcement, and the bigger picture !!!

Now THAT is hopefully starting to sound like serious investment to some of you out there ??!!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 01:31:35 PM »

This is great news, lets hope it progresses well, but I will be switching to VM soon as they have installed full fibre outside my house  ;)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 01:34:29 PM »

Openreach just put out this video 10 minutes ago..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfXgR1ojgeA[/youtube]
Rolling out Fibre to the Premises
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »

Lets hope Ignitionnet sees this ....  ;) ;D

Now THAT is hopefully starting to sound like serious investment to some of you out there ??!!

I knew about this before today. Not a lot before but I had a heads up :)

Me, personally as far as I go: couldn't care less. I'm getting FTTP next year anyway thanks to a house move to a new build. The people in and around these cities I'm delighted for, especially the fact Openreach are going to both work in our major cities, the engines of our economy, and are going to work to retire copper. The intention to work out from the cities to the regional towns is excellent news too.

I'm not sure if I mentioned here but I have definitely said that I considered it doubtful Openreach would deploy G.fast nodes deeper into the network to any scale and to that I hold. I will be very interested in seeing if Openreach deploy 'rings' of FTTP on the outside of G.fast coverage areas as they've deployed FTTP, with BDUK subsidy, on the outside of FTTC coverage areas.

Something that is needed, now, is for the higher speed FTTP variants to go through some reconsideration of pricing and, indeed, the 'quality' of service. Openreach are absurdly paranoid as far as upstream resources go and are, in my opinion, allocating far too much capacity per customer to get serious volume into higher bandwidth services. I'd like to see services where 100Mb isn't 'guaranteed' on the access layer, in return for much higher burst bandwidths. the 1Gb downstream service has a relatively low upstream and is really expensive relatively to peers in the UK and elsewhere.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »

It is great news for jobs too, BT hiring all those engineers, good for everyone.

Superlative treadmill alert: what comes after ultrafast? Is hyper better than ultra? I think we should just skip straight past them all to the end. When Greek fails, we can switch to another language.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:28:34 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »

[off topic]
Superlative treadmill alert: what comes after ultrafast?

Trying to answer your query, I thought about the approximate categorisation of radio frequency bands and so went to Wikipedia to see what had been documented --

Frequency bands.
Bands by frequency.

So the sequence appears to be: Very, Ultra, Super, Extremely & Tremendously.
[/off topic]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 07:44:53 PM »

This is obviously great news, gutted my city is not included, the entire east of england seems to be ignored, but this is the right way for openreach to move in.

To me I never got g.fast, at cabinet only it allows higher marketed speeds for cheap but its practical benefit is minimum, if deployed to pods a reasonable practical benefit but I dont think the cost would be a whole lot lower than FTTP which has much higher practical benefit and lower ongoing costs.

I be surprised if openreach ever do a mass deployment of g.fast to pods, I think they just using g.fast for quick cheap higher speed marketing.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »

So the sequence appears to be: Very, Ultra, Super, Extremely & Tremendously.
[/off topic]

You forgot "Super Duper Fibre-optic Cable Broadband" which is how VM advertised their 2Mbps coax offering.   :lol: :lol:

You know,  the 'Fibre' that wasn't Fibre and started the ball rolling with the stupid naming convention of Super, Ultra etc that we have in the UK.  :'(
AFAIK we are the only country that does this, elsewhere they use the correct technical name such as ADSL/VDSL/FTTC/FTTH etc.

---
Ohh just thought of another one: "Max DSL"
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 02:37:02 AM »

It is great news for jobs too, BT hiring all those engineers, good for everyone.

Openreach have now announced that they will hire 3,500 new trainee engineers over the next 12 months primarily driven by their efforts to roll out fibre. It seems they currently have 22,200 so its will be quite an increase in their workforce

The 3,500 roles include (across Openreach’s ten service delivery regions): 400 roles in Scotland; 297 in the North East (inc. Yorkshire & Humber); 283 in the North West; 303 in North Wales & the North Midlands; 444 in East Anglia; 354 in South Wales & the South Midlands; 300 in the South East, 505 in London; 400 in South Central and 214 in the South West.

As part of this Openreach also said that they would setup 12 new national fibre engineering schools, with centres in Bradford, Bolton, Cardiff, Croydon, Hertford, Livingston, Nursling, Peterborough, Thornaby and Yarnfield already live, and buildings in Exeter and the Thames Valley opening soon.