Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spelling  (Read 794 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Spelling
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:34:58 AM »

Leaving aside my typing, which is a joke on this virtual keyboard, my spelling is going to pot.

Words that I can't spell
    dependent dependant independent medicine perseverance

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Spelling
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:41:21 AM »

Does the web-browser you are using have a settable option to highlight any suspicious spelling that has been input?

I tend to rely on that functionality quite a lot and if I don't like the suggested "adjustment", I will just input my spelling of the word into a search engine & see what results are returned.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:19:51 AM »

Since Firefox has been redesigned (Quantum) I am now using it as my main browser with Grammarly add-on. I am finding it much better with 18 tabs open as compared to Chrome and Edge. All of the above check spelling and Edge even inserts appostrophes which I like but is still a bit buggy and tends to still use to much memory. Firfefox also checks spelling try that.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 04:37:07 AM »

Safari in ios and the ios Notes app are the tools I use for editing posts. In Safari, the autocorrect option is fairly evil.

But my moan is about my own abilities, not the software. I simply cannot remember how to spell some of these words now. Senility approaches. I have never been able to spell dependent/dependant/independent- aaaaaaaaargh! A lifetime pain. But not being able to spell these other common words aforesaid is new and it's only getting worse.

But turning to the off-topic subject of mistyping: I am also going to have to create two new terms ‘Iov4’ and ‘Iov6’ which mean IPv4 and IPv6 respectively, since I cannot type the traditional terms. I wish ios had a properly, controllably customisable autocorrect virtual keyboard. I would like to determine which substitution is made rather than just some random autocorrection choice being made for me which Incan neither override long-term or control successfully.