Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: loss of broadband  (Read 1943 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
loss of broadband
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »

I trying to help a colleague with his broadband.

He has recently changed his ISP to TalkTalk and ever since has been suffering with loss of broadband.  BT have been out and checked line and installed a new master socket.  The Engineer has tested line and is getting a broad band signal of 20 mbps at the socket. 

After testing line etc engineer from BT concluded router, supplied by ISP, was at fault.  The router has been changed but problem persists.  The broadband keeps dropping out.  This happens randomly, there is no pattern. 

Telephone line is working normally when broadband drops out.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this problem?

Thanks

gom

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: loss of broadband
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 08:27:55 PM »

can you obtain any router logs to help identify what's going on  and perhaps use as evidence to go back to the isp with.  If it was me I would be monitoring my modem and router to see what's actually happening. could be dsl or wan side or both...

assuming if it was ok before on the previous isp then perhaps it's not the line but by monitoring is the only way to be sure...

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »

Thank you for the reply.

I will follow this up but router provided is essentially plug and play, so not sure my colleague has router address.  Will try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and see how we get on.

gom

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »

If he has a generic TT modem then it may be difficult to monitor stats.   The ISP should still be able to check any downtime though from their RADIUS report.

>>> The broadband keeps dropping out.

Depends on how 'broadband' is defined.   
It could be that he doesnt have sync to the exchange - in which case its a line fault.
It could have sync but no internet connectivity - in which case its either an ISP issue or modem configuration problem.
It could be that its just no wifi signal in certain parts of the home - in which case the router should be relocated or use some method of extending the range of the signal. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »

Kitz thank you for your response.

I should have mentioned in my first post that the connection is by ethernet and not wifi.

gom

anything