Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Me ears are alight  (Read 799 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Me ears are alight
« on: January 31, 2018, 06:25:19 AM »

Does anyone remember the advert for possibly Maxwell cassette tapes in the 1980s?

I saw a shockingly stupid transcription then ‘translation’ of the charming Irish language song Dúlamán at
   http://www.celticlyricscorner.net/clannad/dulaman_song.htm

Hint, to translators: if the resulting English is utter nonsense then that's a hint that you have possibly erred.

"Irish-speaking seaweed" is "yellow seaweed" if you remove the mishearing and resultant misspelling. And upstart seaweed is simply seaweed of the _shellfish-beach_.

where the translators simply gave up, the word they are looking for could be toothache - I simply googled seaweed plus toothpaste and toothache and found loads of relevant articles, but I had no idea about this in the paste.

My next door neighbour once told me a bawdy joke about a tinker woman's sexual advances, which was solely an incredibly flimsy excuse to get in an israelite-type pun in the punchline based on the word for toothache <em lang="gd">‘an déideadh’</em> in the local mainland dialect used across the bridge. “An déidiú orm” (“I'm suffering from toothache”) (literally “the toothache is on-me”) vs “An déid thu orm” “Will you go on me?” to which the Skye man replies in horror “Cha déid” lit “Won't go” ie “No way!” My neighbour understood when his ears were and were not alight.

There is such a lot of incredible drivel on the web. A lot of it due to me of course.

Burr-ming ham. Ham that would be minging were it not preserved with the smoke from burr-elm chips.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:28:28 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Me ears are alight
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:08:15 AM »

Amazingly I notice that one web dictionary of the Irish language has ‘Irish-speaking’ seaweed in it, as opposed to yellow seaweed. It seems that fools unite. to be fair though, the dictionary may be documenting the reality of a mistake made by real speakers, but if so then doing so without comment in the form of a [sic] is perhaps not helpful. And a heavy burden is placed on transcribers especially in the case of an illiterate speaker population.

The screw-up of Irish ‘geala’ plural adjective of the word for yellow has been confused with ‘gaelach’ (post-war dumbed-down spelling) recte ‘gaidhealach’ ‘Irish-speaking’, but in the context of the aforementioned song, the latter is impossible because it doesn't scan, due to the syllable count. Loss of a syllable in parts of Ireland later on helps drive the possible confusion.

anything