Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Migrating to Vodafone  (Read 10141 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Migrating to Vodafone
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 10:53:44 PM »

You can also use mouselike.org to obtain your BRAS IP profile without the speed test facility.

Hmmm, just tried that, & it didn't work!  :no: It comes up with the following response:
It looks like you entered an invalid phone number or BTs system is refusing to run a test, try again in a few hours.
I know it's a valid phone number, so maybe BTW have something against VF?

I'll try again tomorrow

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 12:14:43 AM »

I can't remember . . . Is a Vodafone service LLU?  :-\

If the answer is "yes" then that will explain why you get nowhere with BTW based tests.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 08:06:17 AM »

As far as I am aware, our exchange (Llansteffan) is Market A, without any LLU presence.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »

our exchange (Llansteffan) is Market A, without any LLU presence

Does not matter....you need to know your headend exchange.

All fibre cabs for an area goes via a large exchange. In Pembrokeshire the only headend exchange is Haverfordwest, so my punt would be Carmarthen.

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »

Does not matter....you need to know your headend exchange.

All fibre cabs for an area goes via a large exchange. In Pembrokeshire the only headend exchange is Haverfordwest, so my punt would be Carmarthen.

Ian

Not always ......we have a 'Parent & Child' set up on our patch that is the complete opposite. The tiny Exchange is the Head-end (Parent), with the larger Exchange being the 'child'.

As we only really see our own patches, I wouldn't have a Scooby as too how many there are like this up and about the UK ??

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »

@Westie

As b*cat and other forum members have said, there is a connection with LLU provision and the availability of BTw test facilities, not sure who your telephone line rental is currently with but your line data as FTTC will be provisioned through BTw regardless of ISP, obvious esception to this being cable, not usually referred to as FTTC (Virgin Media).
There are a few Vodafone ISP active forum members, I'am sure they will be able to offer more definitive advice.

There was a period at the end of last year, at least 2 to 3 weeks, when the BTw Performance Tester (further diagnostics) was not working or at best produced a very high failure rate, there's quite a long thread on the Plusnet members forum regarding this, one of the PN staff members was very diligent in his contacts with BTw and eventually the issue was sorted.
I have experienced virtually 100% success rate since it was fixed, in fact much better that it ever was previously when 50% failure rate was not uncommon.

The "mouselike.org" facility depends on the ability to extract the information from BTw (as it says in the test narrative), during the time period when the BTw Performance Tester (further diagnostics) was not working "mouselike.org" (BRAS profile) would not work either.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »

not sure who your telephone line rental is currently with but your line data as FTTC will be provisioned through BTw regardless of ISP
Not sure that's correct.
BT Wholesale and OpenReach are not the same.
OpenReach own and maintain the network.
BT Wholesale sell backhaul to some ISP's.
LLU operators (like Vodafone) typically don't use BT Wholesale.
There are other backhaul providers like Talktalk Business, C&W (Vodafone), daisy, etc.

Only BTw provided phone numbers will have a BTw IP profile. Vodafone/Talktalk and other LLU providers don't have/use a BTw IP profile.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »

@j0hn

Thank's for the clarification, the difference between Btw and OR has always been a bit of a grey area, for me anyway.

I thought that LLU exchange presence was applicable to ADSL & telephone service only and FTTC was always through the BT/OR network, obviously still a lot to learn on the subject.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 01:56:55 PM »

Both phone service and FTTC are from Vodafone. According to SamKnows, the only exchange in Carmarthenshire where Vodafone has a LLU presence is Llanelli, and I don't think they would provision us from there!

I've tried the BTw Performance Tester using IE on a Windows 7 machine, and although it does run a speed test it won't give an IP profile. That returns:
Test Error

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

@tiffy, @V_R

I've paced out the line lengths, which are approximately:
70m from house to pole at the end of the garden. (Ducted underground, re-cabled 2 yrs ago.)
90m (underground) from pole to PCP.
30m from PCP to Huwawei FTTC cab.

No wonder I get good speed!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »

I wouldn't rely on SamDoesntKnow being up to date!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 05:48:20 PM »

Not always ......we have a 'Parent & Child' set up on our patch

Okay.... thanks for that info....is there any LLU at that small parent exchange or just handover to the LLU networks?

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »

The simplest way I know to decide whether a line has been LLU'd is to make a call to 17070 and listen to the output.

If it begins "This circuit is defined as" <telephone number quoted> and proceeds to list a menu of options then it a BTW circuit. If the output is just a repetitive loop "This circuit is defined as" <telephone number quoted> then it is a LLU'd circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »

Okay.... thanks for that info....is there any LLU at that small parent exchange or just handover to the LLU networks?

Ian

Indeed there is LLU on offer.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »

The simplest way I know to decide whether a line has been LLU'd is to make a call to 17070 and listen to the output.

If it begins "This circuit is defined as" <telephone number quoted> and proceeds to list a menu of options then it a BTW circuit. If the output is just a repetitive loop "This circuit is defined as" <telephone number quoted> then it is a LLU'd circuit.

Just to add to the above from Mr cat ..... when pressing 17070 on your landline phone, any BT owned ISP will start with 'This circuit is defined as 01**** ******', and as mentioned will then present you with a list of further automated options.

SKY also have a further list of options on their 17070 service.

As far as I am aware .... all the other providers just have 'You are connected to 01**** *******' on repeated loop for about 3/4 times.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »

Sorry westie you won't be able to run the BTw Test with further diagnostics on Vodafone it's not a LLU thing of sorts, had a brief period of two months with VF last year which did not end very well for me but the 2nd line support team did their very best to help.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything