Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Migrating to Vodafone  (Read 10132 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Migrating to Vodafone
« on: January 29, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »

Today ought to be my last day on ADSL, as tomorrow is switchover day to Vodafone FTTC (40/10)!  :fingers:

I feel a bit like I'm about to go down a giant water-slide I've never seen before: I'm (reasonably) confident I'll make it through OK, but I have no idea what twists & turns I'll encounter along the way.

My MDWS stats will be offline for a while, until I can either figure out how to get the figures from the supplied HHG2500, or I get my VF username & password to re-instate the DGA4130 I'm currently using.

Wish me luck! Wheee...... :silly:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Migrating to Vodafone
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 10:12:56 AM »

Good luck,  you may well need it with Vodafone  :fingers:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 10:16:49 AM »

Good luck with the switchover. You won't be able to get DSLstats working with the HHG2500, and it's generally considered to be a poor performer, so your best option is to get your login credentials from Vodaphone and revert to using your DGA4130.
  Eric

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »

Thanks, guys. I'll report back when I'm at the bottom of the slide...

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:16:46 PM »

So far, so good.

FTTC is just now up & working: real speeds now 33.0/9.1 (was 6.8/0.3 on ADSL).

Still using VF router, but I have my username & password so will look to change to DGA4130 later tonight - when others are not trying to use the internet.  ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 06:36:19 PM »

I use an unlocked DGA4130, so if you need any help with configuration, let me know. Actually all I had to do was enter the ISP username and password and it worked. Other second order things could be configured later if needed.
  Eric

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »

Thanks, Eric.

On ADSL I was running f/w 1.03 & GUI 3.9, but when I took it offline earlier today I couldn't see how to enable Vlan. I took it back to the standard TIM gui and Vlan was back. Unfortunately I had forgotten the steps I took to re-enable Ansuel's gui, so have had to wait for the Internet to come back online so I could look up the steps again.

Playtime tonight methinks!

George

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 12:14:00 AM »

Update...

Well, I seem to have made it to the bottom of the slide without major mishap.  :yay:

Now using the DGA4130, and uploading to MDWS.

There was a small problem with the Vodafone DNS servers not giving me internet access, but I have changed to using Google's, all is well.

All I need to do now is make some sense of the numbers. The real download speed has increased by 3Mbps since changing the router, so I'm glad I did that.

Time for bed...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:41:52 AM »

Excellent news!
  Eric

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »

@Westie

Glad to hear that your ADSL/VDSL migration all went to plan, well done on your part, you are certainly getting into this technology very quickly, obviously a natural.

Early days yet for MDWS stat's analysis but your line appears to have synch'ed exceptionally well, practically on your 40/10 provision rates, is the fibre cab. outside your door or in your garden ?
US ES's increasing to expectation but still very low, should be practically eliminated when DS G.Inp is eventually applied, that's up to DLM when that occurs, as you have likely read on various forum posts, can be up to 8 weeks, a few members reporting even longer, mine took just over 7 weeks after ADSL/VDSL migration with Plusnet.

Have you noticed that vectoring is indicating "fully enabled", looks like you are one of the very lucky few.

Both DS & US SNRM's are very high, I would have thought that's because your line is already on DS/US target synch rates and lower target SNRM's are not required, I'am sure some of the more knowledgable forum members can give you a much more accurate explanation on this, I'am only guessing.
Don't really know what effect vectoring will have on this, only a few MDWS users have vectoring to date.

Have you checked your BTw BRAS IP profile's yet ?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:55:32 AM by tiffy »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 12:22:31 PM »

Nice stats mate, not jelly at all....    :-X

I'd be interested to know your line length.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 07:09:17 PM »

Glad to hear that your ADSL/VDSL migration all went to plan

Thanks in no small part to the excellent help from many people on this forum
US ES's increasing to expectation but still very low, should be practically eliminated when DS G.Inp is eventually applied, that's up to DLM when that occurs, as you have likely read on various forum posts, can be up to 8 weeks, a few members reporting even longer, mine took just over 7 weeks after ADSL/VDSL migration with Plusnet.

I'll wait a while then before I try any update changes on the DGA4130!

Have you noticed that vectoring is indicating "fully enabled", looks like you are one of the very lucky few.

I had noticed...but I need to educate myself what that means  ;)

I've tried, but from my old PC it didn't work. I'll try again from another machine tomorrow.

I'd be interested to know your line length.

I'll try to get that tomorrow, and post back.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:35:59 PM »

That's a very nice attainable speed 120/33, you could get the full fat 80/20 without any issues.

Vectoring basically counter acts crosstalk, crosstalk is interference from ones persons line to another and can knock 10's of Mb's off sync speeds.

I believe Kitz used to have an attainable speed like yours, but she's now down to 73Mbps due to cross talk.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »

@Westie

I've tried, but from my old PC it didn't work. I'll try again from another machine tomorrow.

Don't use Firefox browser when running BTw Performance Tester, known speed reporting issues although the BRAS IP profile should still report accurately.
You can also use mouselike.org to obtain your BRAS IP profile without the speed test facility.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 09:26:23 PM »

Quite impressive statistics, viewed via MDWS.  :)

One anomaly is that MDWS is still showing the Hlog and QLN plots from your prior ADSL2+ service. In due course they will change to the current plots for the VDSL2 service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything