Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Outages again following lightning in the area  (Read 2503 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Outages again following lightning in the area
« on: January 25, 2018, 01:45:37 AM »

Wed 6am: Janet unplugged all DSL modems from the outside world in good time on this occasion, well before a nearby lightning strike (about 1 mile away according to the lightningmaps.org map).

Mid morning there was a lot of packet loss on one line, going on for about an hour and then some smaller incidents.

Wed evening, at around 21:15 or so: internet access went down on all three lines simultaneously, all modems not happy. They possibly (only) lost PPP I think, or else PPP failed to complete the initialisation sequence or something. Going on the evidence of the leds on the modems, it seems there was still some dsl but no ‘planet Saturn’ ? (The Dlink DSL-320B-Z1 manual turns to semi layman-gibberish in failing to explain what that dark Saturn led means, "WAN protocol" - which one? The fools who write these manuals end up with something that is incomprehensible to laymen and those with clue alike.) So perhaps that means dslam/msan (semi-) good but NSBFD exchange stuffed, or no link to BRAS, or BRAS unhappy?

I'm just guessing that this might have been BT doing some work after the lightning strikes.

Service came on on all three lines simultaneously at around 00:11.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Outages again following lightning in the area
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:49:04 AM »

Oh and guess what, 3G/4G went out to lunch in the morning following the lightning strike, so we had no backup while we remained cautiously unplugged. Which is what always happens. No Three. I can't remember if I checked EE as well.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 02:18:37 AM »

Wed evening, at around 21:15 or so: internet access went down on all three lines simultaneously, all modems not happy. They possibly (only) lost PPP I think, or else PPP failed to complete the initialisation sequence or something.

The modems are just endpoints for three G.992.3 links and three ATM sessions. The PPP session endpoint is your FB2500 (or is it an FB2700 ?).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 11:36:27 PM »

Agreed about the firebrick endpoint.

(I now have both models, stupidly having bought a second Firebrick in April 2016 in a futile attempt to fix the problems I had in 2016 with packet loss on port 1 only. The FB2500 was put back into use last spring after lightning damage to the new FB2700. The FB2700 was replaced with a new unit foc[!!] last summer for no reason other than human kindness. The new FB2700 is now on duty and the FB2500 is resting, as a standby.)

I'm wondering what the modems monitor in the way of higher protocols to drive the stupid saturn indicator. I'm wondering if the snoop ppp even when they are not being routers. Fo so  It doesn't seem appropriate to call them bridges because they do not take arbitrary ethernet frames off the lan and embed them into RFC1483 over ATM; rather the input to them has to be PPPoEoE which always contains PPP.

I realise that I need to check if the Saturn led ever works seeing as the modems are not routers.

I remember ethernet (learning) bridges at work 30 years ago that would take in ethernet frames and transfer them over some WAN link to another site. That was before we had any IP at all, just things like netbios over ethernet (possibly DecNet too, I forget now, as we were a mixed DEC (Vaxen) and Microsoft shop with the odd OS/2 LAN Manager server even, zero *nix boxen). They are my definition of bridges.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:40:34 PM »

more problems today. I was told there was a general bt so this morning which affected me at some point. I was asleep but Janet got SMS messages from the AA KCI servers telling her some links were going down and up. (I get tweets instead.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 12:46:11 AM »

(I now have both models, stupidly having bought a second Firebrick in April 2016 in a futile attempt to fix the problems I had in 2016 with packet loss on port 1 only. The FB2500 was put back into use last spring after lightning damage to the new FB2700. The FB2700 was replaced with a new unit foc[!!] last summer for no reason other than human kindness. The new FB2700 is now on duty and the FB2500 is resting, as a standby.)

I remember you purchasing the FB2700, after the Port 1 packet loss fiasco (which Watchfront denied was possible). I didn't realise that it was the £900 FB2700 that got zapped.  :o

I realise that I need to check if the Saturn led ever works seeing as the modems are not routers.

I would suspect not, based on my observations of other devices (with a similar LED for that same function) when in bridge mode.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 12:49:16 AM »

more problems today. I was told there was a general bt so this morning which affected me at some point. I was asleep but Janet got SMS messages from the AA KCI servers telling her some links were going down and up. (I get tweets instead.)

Your circuits were possibly affected by "Several blips on our New BT host links".

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 02:10:24 AM »

Ah well spotted, I was too ill at the time to think to look at that AA site and just put it down to continuing later chaos when I heard about it.

anything