Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caoimhe off her food again  (Read 4063 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Caoimhe off her food again
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »

Caoimhe is not eating. We are wondering if the problem could be hairballs. She has been successfully tempted with some of the liquid medicine that Kitz recommended to me and she enjoyed that. Tonight a big dollop of Catalax [?spelling] was put on her back which made her wash it off. Here’s hoping it cheers her up.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Caoimhe off her food again
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 04:13:17 AM »

I'm going to ask Janet to give Caoimhe some of the delicious stuff that Kitz recommended and try to get some piriton into her along with it as Caoimhe’s hay-fever long-term type allergy is out-of-control at the moment, she's sneezing constantly and her eyes and nose are pouring poor thing.

If only we could con her into taking the piriton, but she is such a very suspicious cat and it isn't worth making her miserable and making her hate us.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:14:19 AM »

Janet finally just squirted some piriton liquid down Caoimhe’s throat successfully, caught the sneezy cat out, but it hasn't worked, so it's off to the vet for her today hopefully.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 02:11:06 PM »

Vet has kept Caoimhe in. Iv fluids, antibiotics, swabs. Poor lamb.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 09:09:51 PM »

:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:32 PM »

Oh no.   Hope she is OK.   :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »

She is now filled up with fluids, more antibiotics still to run in. She's getting appetite-enhancers. Hopefully home again tomorrow afternoon if her lunchtime review is ok.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 11:33:30 PM »

Hopefully being on a drip will have helped. Poor wee mite.

Periactin is supposedly a good appetite stimulant for cats.  Its also an antihistamine.   I've used periactin for Zigs before now when he wasnt eating...   the vet didn't have any in and she told me to go ask for it at the local chemists as it would be cheaper than her getting in ordered in for the next day.  Only to be used under vetinary supervision though as they will tell you the dosage depending upon weight.   

VitB12 injection (cobalamin) can also kick start cats appetite and IMHO that worked far better on Ziggy than periactin or mirtazapine which is one of the other meds they use. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:19:50 AM »

Janet’s candidate theory is that Caoimhe is allergic to her own fur possibly, or to the kittens, with whom she is now constantly cuddled up. Caoimhe really seems to love them possibly only because they are so very warm and toasty, the amount of heat they pump out is astonishing. Janet has got her on an old ladies’ bum-warmer, as she describes it, and electric hot pad and Janet thinks that the warmth is making the sneezing worse.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM »

Caoimhe is back home and delighted to be here. She is purring and chirruping and constantly miaowing at Mrs Weaver. Apparently she didn't eat anything at the vet's despite the appetite enhancer drugs she had, but Mrs Weaver has successfully given Caoimhe some ‘Dreamies’ which are her favourite cat treats. She has refused to eat cat food at home though thus far, but she has only been home a few minutes so there’s hope. Caoimhe is even miaowing at the wood-burning stove now, for some reason.

The kittens really have been unhappy, trying to find her. They have been repeatedly checking under my duvet to see if Caoimhe is hiding under there. I have missed the scene where they realised she was home again.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 07:13:25 PM »

Awww glad she's home and feeling happier.   Hope she does start eating as its a worry when they dont.

Caoimhe is even miaowing at the wood-burning stove now, for some reason.

Ask what appetite stimulant she was given.  If it was periactin or mirtazapine, it makes them very vocal. 
Believe me I know from experience.  Mirtazapine was worst.  Zigs went round and round mieowing at everything for 24hrs.  It drove me nuts :D

-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 08:07:09 AM »

That sounds exactly right. She miaowed half of the night until in the darkness it all got so boring that she finally quietened down. She still is eating only dreamies but is doing so very very enthusiastically, one by one. She has had two huge drinks of milk, Janet says it is all because Caoimhe has no sense of smell just now, which sounds exactly right as she doesn't seem to believe that the dreamiest are food unless she sees them come out of the packet as part of the usual impatient ritual. In the end I tossed one dreamie treat at her so that she could feel it hit her chest and then she went off frantically searching for it, all giving her context, that was my reasoning.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »

Just as Kitz said Caoimhe has had mirtazapine ; also fenoflox colvasone, convenia, b12 and betamox.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 12:08:46 AM »

I have no doubt it will have been the Mirtazapine which made her vocal. That should have worn off by now though :)

Colvasone which is a steroid injection - Zigs is also given this when he's really poorly and I cant get prednisolone tablets down him.  This may also help boost appetite a little and its longer lasting than tablet form. 
Theres a couple of antibiotics which Zigs gets when he has a bad flare up.  There's only betamox in that list which I dont recognise.  Looks like they are trying everything they can for her.    Hope she is soon back to normal.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »

Diagnosed finally, after a year or so [!] as calicivirus. :-(
Pages: [1] 2