Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Slow Upload Speed Issue  (Read 3880 times)

neil

• Reg Member
Slow Upload Speed Issue
« on: February 28, 2023, 06:10:36 PM »

After the installation of VDSL 4 years ago, I would face an issue of my line syncing at low upload speeds, after power failure. I then restarted my modem a couple of times for it resync at upload speeds assigned in the package. It used to be 8mb then 12mb and now it's 18mb. Download speeds were usually fine, I don't remember any issue with it other than issue with FTTC equipment or backend fiber equipment.
Few weeks ago, I went in to modem DSL settings and disabled all profiles other than VDSL and profile 17a and 30a. Since then, my line syncs at full 18mb upload speed. Hopefully I have solved the issue of my line syncing at low upload speeds for whatever reason.

Outside UK
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 08:17:47 AM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Slow Upload Speed Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 08:02:17 PM »

Few weeks ago, I went in to modem DSL settings and disabled all profiles other than VDSL and profile 17a and 32a. Since then, my line syncs at full 18mb upload speed. Hopefully I have solved the issue of my line syncing at low upload speeds for whatever reason.

That's a sensible decision and something that I would do.  :)

However I suspect you intended to type "30a". As far as I am aware there is no profile "32a".

Only you will know the details of the product you receive from your provider. So if they do not provide services using profile 30a then you might as well disable that option.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 08:23:42 PM »

Few weeks ago, I went in to modem DSL settings and disabled all profiles other than VDSL

Yes I did the same since my line will sync. on ADSL2+ randomly when power to FTTC cabinet cuts and comes back given the backup batteries are gone now.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 05:17:39 AM »

That's a sensible decision and something that I would do.  :)

However I suspect you intended to type "30a". As far as I am aware there is no profile "32a".

Only you will know the details of the product you receive from your provider. So if they do not provide services using profile 30a then you might as well disable that option.

Yes, you are correct. 30a, sorry for my mistake.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 10:17:06 AM »

Just for anyone reading this at a later date and thinking of trying it on their line... it is very unlikely to have any impact at all (unless outside the UK).

The OP (and mofa2020) is not based in the UK and it's possible his DSLAM is configured to use multiple profiles. Disabling the lower profiles ensures his line doesn't fallback to the lower and slower profile.

All Openreach FTTC (VDSL2) DSLAM's are configured to only sync with profile 17a so disabling the other profiles will never make any difference as they can't be used anyway.

In saying that, I always disabled everything except profile 17a but I did so knowing it would be of no benefit other than helping my OCD.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 02:43:49 PM »

Just for anyone reading this at a later date and thinking of trying it on their line... it is very unlikely to have any impact at all (unless outside the UK).

The OP (and mofa2020) is not based in the UK and it's possible his DSLAM is configured to use multiple profiles. Disabling the lower profiles ensures his line doesn't fallback to the lower and slower profile.

All Openreach FTTC (VDSL2) DSLAM's are configured to only sync with profile 17a so disabling the other profiles will never make any difference as they can't be used anyway.

In saying that, I always disabled everything except profile 17a but I did so knowing it would be of no benefit other than helping my OCD.

Yes, I am outside the UK and thank you for explaining it properly. English is not my primary language.  ;D
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 02:46:36 PM »

Yes I did the same since my line will sync. on ADSL2+ randomly when power to FTTC cabinet cuts and comes back given the backup batteries are gone now.

Thankfully we still have batteries in our FTTC cabinet and it provides if I am not wrong, 6-8 hours of backup for cabinet.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 02:50:39 PM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 09:11:10 AM »

That's a curious state of affairs as you wouldn't expect them to run ADSL2+ from the exchange while concurrently having VDSL2 from a cabinet, on the same line.  I guess ultimately there is no reason not to do so and it seems a clever solution to solving the battery problem, at the cost of using more ports in the exchange than they otherwise would need to.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 03:41:05 PM »

That's a curious state of affairs as you wouldn't expect them to run ADSL2+ from the exchange while concurrently having VDSL2 from a cabinet, on the same line.

Remember that mofa2020 is not based in the UK. I very much doubt that his service provider runs an ADSL service from the exchange. Think about the wiring and, without a low-pass filter (which would be the case if a viable ADSL service comes from the exchange), the bridging tap that would be created by the E-side pair. My assumption is that service provider has the cabinet based DSLAM/MSAN/ISAM configured to provide VDSL2/ADSL2+/ADSL2/ADSL to the end user. The xTU-C (in the cabinet) attempts to synchronise with the xTU-R (in the end user's abode) starting with VDSL2 and working down the list to ADSL. Whichever of those four xDSL variants first synchronises defines the service type used for that connection - at that time. By explicitly locking the xTU-R (the end user's modem (or modem/router)) to VDSL2 ensures that will be the only xDSL version used for any connection, at any time. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 04:40:21 PM »

I have to apologize for not mentioning that I am based outside UK, sorry for any confusion my reply could has been causing.

I very much doubt that his service provider runs an ADSL service from the exchange. Think about the wiring and, without a low-pass filter (which would be the case if a viable ADSL service comes from the exchange), the bridging tap that would be created by the E-side pair.

I don't want to hijack the OP post also it not a big deal to start a new thread for it, but I believe this is completely correct because with this certain ISP (and the only owner of telecoms infrastructure "the ultimate monopolist") sometimes when subscribers switch to other ISPs (who all do rent equipment etc. from the monopolist) lines revert back to ADSL and shows higher line attenuation as if the signal is coming from the Exchange not the FTTC cabinet and even it sill sync. on VDSL2 yet attenuation still higher with lower max. speed giving the monopolist the advantage on service quality and achievable speeds  :rant:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 12:25:19 AM »

Ah I misread their post, I thought they said it synced as ADSL when the power was cut to the cabinet, not right after the power was restored - doh.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors