Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SSE Enterprise Telecoms Sets Out its 2018 Predictions for UK Networks  (Read 2331 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/01/sse-enterprise-telecoms-sets-2018-predictions-uk-networks.html

The enterprise division of SSE Enterprise Telecoms has today set out its list of predictions for the major trends that could affect UK telecoms in 2018, which focuses on the rise of alternative network providers, greater access to fibre optic cables, more preparation for future 5G Mobile and so forth.

Naturally SSE are also keen to plug some of their own related enhancements, such as their recent deal with Thames Water that has allowed them to deploy fibre optic cables within Thames Water’s waste water network in order to create new, cost-effective and diverse connections in key business areas.

I think its good other companies are talking about building fibre networks. Though if OR aren't careful then they might get overtaken at some point in the size of fibre foot print. I don't think having many rival fibre networks would be good for the customer as we might end up like the US i.e. customers only have a very limited choice when it comes to Internet access, usually only 1 provider.

If multiple networks do start to appear then I hope ofcom will start taking a more active rule in setting rules to make them more accessable to customers. This as been lacking when its come to VM. The contrast in actions against BT/OR vs VM as been opposite. We've seen, some would say, BT/OR being overly regulated while VM hasn't really been touched with much regulation imho.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: SSE Enterprise Telecoms Sets Out its 2018 Predictions for UK Networks
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »

I really would hope that no situation is allowed to develop where there is a huge lot of waste with networks going in side by side overbuilding one another. We do really need some proper planning here. We don't need multiple ‘national grid’ type electricity systems running parallel to one another and the same is true for the internet.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »

I really would hope that no situation is allowed to develop where there is a huge lot of waste with networks going in side by side overbuilding one another. We do really need some proper planning here. We don't need multiple ‘national grid’ type electricity systems running parallel to one another and the same is true for the internet.

Quite so, that is where the merits of “competition” fail.   Networks will be paid for by customers, and multiple parallel networks will cost multiple times what a single network would cost.

Already around here, alternative fibre providers are springing up, causing roadworks and traffic chaos as they dig up the roads to lay their fibre.  All of which cost will ultimately need to be recovered via customer billing.   If BT ducts already exist,   I’d like to think they  could be compelled to strike a deal and buy space in these ducts, but I suspect no such common sense applies.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:19:14 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/01/sse-enterprise-telecoms-sets-2018-predictions-uk-networks.html

I think its good other companies are talking about building fibre networks. Though if OR aren't careful then they might get overtaken at some point in the size of fibre foot print. I don't think having many rival fibre networks would be good for the customer as we might end up like the US i.e. customers only have a very limited choice when it comes to Internet access, usually only 1 provider.

If multiple networks do start to appear then I hope ofcom will start taking a more active rule in setting rules to make them more accessable to customers. This as been lacking when its come to VM. The contrast in actions against BT/OR vs VM as been opposite. We've seen, some would say, BT/OR being overly regulated while VM hasn't really been touched with much regulation imho.

I couldn't ever foresee that happening, Bowdon. IMHO.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »

We'll see. BDUK won't last forever, Openreach are going to have to start paying for it all themselves eventually and have announced basically nothing other than new build properties, some business parks and taxpayer subsidised stuff just yet.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »

We'll see. BDUK won't last forever, Openreach are going to have to start paying for it all themselves eventually and have announced basically nothing other than new build properties, some business parks and taxpayer subsidised stuff just yet.

We'll probably ramp up the fibre coverage when we're finally separated.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 08:01:31 PM »

I think its good other companies are talking about building fibre networks.
SSE have a  huge amount of coverage on my area. They have Fibre running right up the A68 (Newcastle to Edinburgh) that's been in place for years now.
It's not going to help Joe Public in anyway though as SSE Enterprise (clue is in the name) only do commercial contracts. I don't see them ever expanding into residential and deploying residential FTTP.

The SSE Broadband you usually hear about is simply SSE reselling OpenReach FTTC.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 01:24:56 AM »

We'll probably ramp up the fibre coverage when we're finally separated.

Understood. Will need to. Ignoring the HFC extensions Virgin are doing at least 5,000 premises of it a week with that ramping up as HFC builds complete and all resources are dedicated to FTTP. The Leeds build is now almost entirely FTTP.

Vodafone's plan added to that alongside other players and, with or without counting Hyperoptic's 400k of FTTB, it will be close by 2020 when the 2 million premises are supposed to be done.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »

All good for the consumer.

I have to admit though, as my time working as a BT employee is getting ever nearer to retirement ..... my interest/involvement is waning exponentially.

Still a few years yet, but I have found I can fill my time with lots more other stuff rather than the nuances of broadband coverage and speeds.
In other words ..... que sera .....  ;) ;D ;D 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:20:22 AM »

[btw isn't the A68 more like Darlington to Edinburgh? Death-trap road of beloved memory.]

I think that putting disruption charges up for roadworks sky-high would perhaps help and re-invest the money in FTTP subsidies and core network upgrades. We absolutely must force carriers to cooperate, in building oversized ducts and over-capacity optical links, with multiplexing being mandated.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:22:06 AM »

I felt exactly the same way as Black Sheep. The novelty of novelty wore off too.

anything