Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virgin Media - Typical time from roadworks completed to being able to order  (Read 1725 times)

fbnts

Hi,

Virgin Media's contractors have been around my area for the last few months and finally just completed our road and all the ducts and cabinets have been installed.

I understand that the cabinets will need to be populated and connected but does anyone know roughly how long from the civil works being completed to this happening and being able to order?

Thanks

Tom

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I think a lot depends on whether it's a completly new area, or an extension of an existing area.

Our area (Thanet) is completely new and they started installing last June, first area went live in December. My own street was done in October, but is not live yet.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

fbnts

Thanks for the reply.

I think it's an extension to an existing area.  Our area is right next to an area that was cabled back in the NTL days.

Will new installs all be fibre (project Lightning from what I read) or could they still install coax?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

They could well still be coax if it's just an extension of an existing area.

fbnts

ok, well I guess I will have to wait and see.  I have however just noticed that OpenReach have updated their pricing for FTTPoD and if I am reading it correctly, it's become quite competitive so may not need Virgin anyway

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Are you sure about that, I thought the general consensus was total cost of ownership will be about the same. Basically monthly cost would be much cheaper and in line with FTTP but the install costs will be much higher.

I guess we'll find out soon enough though, with the new pricing structure coming in soon.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:42:20 PM by Ronski »

fbnts

Hmm, I'm not sure then.  From what I read they are getting rid of the distance bands for construction and will be based on survey so would probably be about the same but then there's discounts for each property they pass.

This was the article I saw:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/openreach-unveil-new-uk-pricing-fttp-demand-ultrafast-broadband.html

I have contacted Cerberus but although BT OpenReach have announced this, BT Wholesale haven't yet updated their pricing so will have to wait until next month.