Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mobile data SIMs - reading matter?  (Read 2968 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Mobile data SIMs - reading matter?
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:28:37 AM »

I have several Andrews and Arnold 4G data SIMs for iPads and 4G routers. In fact, AA buys telecommunications services in from AQL in Leeds (see aql.com). AQL in turn runs over the Three UK 4G / 3G mobile network (see three.co.uk).

I wonder if anyone could help me with any pointers towards reading matter for the protocol stacks involved and description on the architecture from various viewpoints?

I think I need to look at various 3GPP specs but I’m kind-of lost at the moment.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:45:03 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Mobile data SIMs - reading matter?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:25:34 PM »

Sorry but I am unable to assist you in your quest.  :no:

I have several Andrews and Arnold 4G data SIMs for iPads and 4G routers. In fact, AA buys telecommunications services in from AQL in Leeds (see aql.com). AQL in turn runs over the Three UK 4G / 3G mobile network (see three.co.uk).

I wonder if anyone could help me with any pointers towards reading matter for the protocol stacks involved and description on the architecture from various viewpoints?

I think I need to look at various 3GPP specs but I’m kind-of lost at the moment.

The purpose of this response is to ask are you aware that your posts to the forum are now appearing in a small font? So small that I have difficulty in reading what you have written without leaning close to the monitor.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »

@Burakkucat - I see what you mean. I wonder why the font size is smaller? It's not good!

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:18:02 PM »

It looks to me like you have a serif font.That often looks 'smaller' at the same font size. I don't know how the system works, but maybe if you mistakenly select the wrong size for one posting, the assumption is that it stays the same for all subsequent postings?

I'll try it and see what happens here...

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 11:22:48 PM »

Well, that didn't work. My system returned to default, even without the [/font] at the end of my last message.

Sorry, that was probably no help at all...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 12:01:10 AM »

Here follows the original that was entered into the compose/edit pane --

[font=times new roman]I have several Andrews and Arnold 4G data SIMs for iPads and 4G routers. In fact, AA buys telecommunications services in from [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aql_(company)]AQL[/url] in Leeds (see [url=http://aql.com]aql.com[/url]). AQL in turn runs over the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_UK]Three UK[/url] 4G / 3G mobile network (see [url=http://three.co.uk]three.co.uk[/url]).

[/font]

From that we can see that the tag causing the mischief is --

[font=times new roman]blah-blah[/font]

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 12:31:07 AM »

So it appears that something at Weaver's end is selecting times new roman as a default font.

@W, It's not one of your new furballs sitting on the keyboard is it?  ;)

BTW B*kat, how did you manage to show the tags in your post? When I tried that it just put them into effect, without showing them.

Sorry if this is a numptie question...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 01:05:23 AM »

BTW B*kat, how did you manage to show the tags in your post? When I tried that it just put them into effect, without showing them.

Sorry if this is a numptie question...

Ah, it's quite simple really. There is a [nobbc][/nobbc] tag which turns off the interpretation between the beginning and end of the pair.

Just in case anyone is curious how I displayed the tag pair in the previous sentence, I had to nest a pair of tags -- [nobbc][nobbc][/nobbc][/nobbc]. (And yes, I've just nested three of them to show those two!)  :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 01:21:34 AM »

Some things don't really actually give you type=plain text when you think that is what you have, but embed formatting info in an object carried over during a copy-paste.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 10:17:07 PM »

Ah, it's quite simple really....

Thanks for that great explanation, b*kat.
There are many things that are "simple" when you know how, but seem like magic to the ignorant!

I realised a long time ago that I will never know everything, but I treasure every nugget gained  :thumbs:

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 07:54:44 AM »

It looks to me like you have a serif font.That often looks 'smaller' at the same font size. I don't know how the system works, but maybe if you mistakenly select the wrong size for one posting, the assumption is that it stays the same for all subsequent postings?

I'll try it and see what happens here...

Yes, I noticed that as well

... sorry,couldn't resist ....  ;D

anything