Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lightning protection - a plug for a warning app  (Read 4964 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Lightning protection - a plug for a warning app
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:18:15 AM »

I have been using an iOS app by Marco Bauer called Blitzortunglive” for iOS - (German Blitz “lightning”, Ort  “place”, ‑ung  “‑ing/‑ion”). It’s a very effective lightning strike live mapping app which shows a large scrollable and zoomable map and offers special audible alert warnings within a selected radius as well as visible indicators and clicks for any strikes that are on the map.

It’s not just iOS. Note that here are Android apps too. There is also a website strike display; see also alternative strike display map

It uses a network of volunteers’ sensor hardware, see also the  list of stations worldwide

One thing though: I would like to be able to pay a premium in order to disable a small ad in the app, that’s about the only downside I can thinking of.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:27:30 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Lightning protection - a plug for a warning app
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:01:16 AM »

Perhaps I should move this topic to somewhere more general, given that there are Android apps too and it's an extremely useful website - here are the websites: lightningmaps.org and blitzortung.org europe live display maps.

Mrs Weaver is very against it but I would quite like to put up a sensor and contribute data if I could get someone to build the hardware.

There are sensors at Dundee (up) and at Errol nearby in Perthshire (up), Orkney (interference, iirc) and Inverness (offline), and Edinburgh (not delivering much?). There are a few in Ireland, not enough. Lots in Norway which is good for me, but more in Ireland would be excellent. There is at least one on the West Coast of Ireland. There are plenty in England that are up, including one at Alston in the North Pennines, several in Stone, Staffordshire, right near my wife’s 91 year old mum (many happy returns as of last month Mrs Lee) also one that is up at Cheddleton near Leek in Staffs (not delivering much?), one at or near Derby, the hospital where I was born (mum was shifted from Ashbourne hospital at the last minute iirc).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:46:03 AM by Weaver »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »

This is a well known site and I've been using their apps and website for some years now. The benefit of this network is that it correlates events from many sources which gives a good estimate of where the lightning is happening. The problem with a single detector is false events, I know I used to have one, you need high quality power and keep them well away from sources of interference.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »

Perhaps I should move this topic to somewhere more general, given that there are Android apps too and it's an extremely useful website - here are the websites: lightningmaps.org and blitzortung.org europe live display maps.

I’m a fan of the lightning maps website.   Whenever we have a storm I tend to visit the site just for entertainment value, and I find it is incredibly accurate.  Pretty much every thunderclap that you hear can be seen on the map, and the location credibly identified to within a few hundred yards.

Well worth a visit.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:35:37 PM »

It’s very good to get some feedback on the reliability of the system, as there’s a lot at stake, the amount of problems I and my neighbours are always getting. Children getting injured, phones fried and blown off the wall, two serious house fires that I recall over the years.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 11:27:37 PM »

Thanks to our moderator for relocating this thread.

anything