Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion 8800NL R2 - No G.INP and poor sync  (Read 2520 times)

bluewave

• Just arrived
Billion 8800NL R2 - No G.INP and poor sync
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:42:23 PM »

As this site has been a valuable source of information for me, I thought I'd register and share my recent experiences -

Early September last year I moved to iDNET and also picked up a Billion 8800NL R2 (Previous BT + HH). There was a noticeable drop in sync speed (from ~ 43000 kbps to ~ 37000 kbps as far as I remember). I then spent the following months patiently waiting for G.INP (Huawei cabinet) to be enabled. Instead, all that happened was interleaving turning on and off every so often. I double and triple checked the modem configuration (PhyR downstream enabled) and had the latest firmware from Billion.

I read on these forums that the 8800NL R2 may have inferior chipset causing lower sync speeds, but I was puzzled as to the lack of G.INP.

Finally, 4 months after I moved ISPs/installed the 8800NL R2, I bought a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A and began using it on the 13th of January. My sync speed immediately improved to about 42000 kbps. More surprising however was that for the first time I am aware of, G.INP was enabled today! This brought my sync speed up 51778 kbps and (also for the first time) my SNR margin changed down to 5. This was only 5 days after plugging in the ZyXEL

All in all, moving hardware has resulted in a 40% increase in sync rate, assuming the SNR margin does not change anymore. That is huge for me.

The G.INP issue may be an unusual case but my personal experience definitely says; Do not buy a Billion 8800NL R2 !

In case anyone is interested, I've attached line stats from today and from the Billion earlier in the month.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Billion 8800NL R2 - No G.INP and poor sync
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:08:40 PM »

The timing of switching modems and G.INP being applied is likely just a coincidence. It took 11 weeks for it to be applied to my line. The Billion 8800NL R2 is capable of G.INP, and that is the *only requirement for it to be enabled.

PhyR is also totally unrelated to G.INP.
It's Broadcoms own proprietary version of G.INP that isn't used by OpenReach. It is irrelevant wether it is checked/unchecked.

Still a good upgrade on the modem chipset though. If the line remains stable you will hopefully see a further drop in the SNRM target to 4dB, then 3dB.

*Asus modems with Mediatek chipset being the exception. OpenReach have recently removed G.INP from these devices.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bluewave

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:26:57 PM »

I see.. I couldn't find any mention of anyone waiting 17 weeks for G.INP. What a strange technology

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:22:43 PM »

Yes, just as j0hn has said, there are many forum members (posts) who have waited considerable times for G.Inp implementation, from personal experience on my line, was over 7 weeks after ADSL/VDSL migration with PN, j0hn's experience being one of the longest recorded.

During the 7 week (waiting for G.Inp period) I had a number of different modem/router combinations in service so I would again agree with j0hn that your change to the ZyXEL router was not a deciding factor in G.Inp implementation, it was going to happen anyway when DLM decided the time was right.

Regarding the Billion 8800NL R2, I bought one S/H and put into service on my daughters PN 40/10 line, in her case it produced a considerable improvement in DS synch speed from the PN Hub One (BT HH5a) on an already G.Inp'ed line, the main objective being to enable detailed stat's monitoring & recording to MDWS (ID cruth211), been working very well on a relatively noisy line to date.

The ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A is a very well respected unit, very popular with many forum members, hopefully will give you very good service on your line.

Have you checked your DL data speed, has it increased proportionally with the increased DS synch rate ?
Certainly was not the case for me when my line was G.Inp'ed, for a 3 Mbps DS synch speed increase my DS data throughput speed remained the same.
Have a look at the many forum posts regarding retx (G.Inp) high/low profiles for an explanation of why this should be.
This post for example:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20307.msg354345.html#msg354345
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub