Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Very frustrated with what I believe is broken DLM  (Read 5298 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Very frustrated with what I believe is broken DLM
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:14:14 AM »

This morning DLM intervened to INCREASE my interleaving despite probably weeks of very low ES I had one bad day yesterday with something I believe to be external to my property causing a spike in errors. It is so frustrating that DLM does this with just one bad day and even that not a huge number of errors (165 ES down total) but is simply incapable of recognising that for weeks now my ES has been very very low and should have had interleaving removed a long time ago.

In my view DLM is not fit for purpose if all it does is hit lines with reduced capability and never removes it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Very frustrated with what I believe is broken DLM
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:29:48 AM »

:-(

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »

This is the very reason I believe you should have he ability to reset your line.

There should be safeguards but giving the customer a relatively easy way to remove banding, remove interleaving or recover from a one off bad event would be advantageous.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »

although your es might be low your snr is all over the place. I imagine that's not going to help the situation. some large drops on the US and ds. look at 10:30am today. pretty jumpy..

As an experiment I would cap it at 55mb and see how long it takes to hopefully go back to fast path. Even if it didn't last you would know how long it takes. I waited 5 weeks with no budge. Capped it and it was fine in 2 weeks. I then removed the cap.

why not give it a go?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:52:32 AM by skyeci »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »

Yes I know my SNRM is all over the place today, this problem started a couple of days ago and seems intermittent. I simply do not believe that capping my line will fix the SNRM being all over the place. This is similar to an issue I had back in 2016 which eventually went away but not before it got me capped then in August 2016. This time the issue is not (yet) so bad and my line has been running so well for weeks up until now when this issue happened again. All I'll end up doing is probably hiding the current SNRM issue. I'd love to find out what is causing the noise issue. Nothing in the house has changed and at the time it started today we had nothing turned on other than my PC and the fridge/freezer, even the CH had gone off by then. It has to be something external to my house I believe. We dont have any nearby road works or building works and it is a residential area with no businesses nearby or between here and the cabinet other than some folks who work from home. The SNRM fluctuations started around 09:36 this morning and have not recovered properly yet and this seems to be what usually happens for a while.

Stuart

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:09:15 PM »

I wasn't implying capping will fix the snr. I meant purely to get rid of interleaving. Cap it and see.

there was a bout of it on the 16th as well by the looks of it.Poor joint somewhere external perhaps. that was the theory as I had this problem to which was investigated but came to no avail. after 3 months of issues it just cleared up of its own accord...all very odd
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:22:25 PM by skyeci »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »

Isn't there a pumping station or something opposite the end of Linden Rd, next to the alleyway?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »

Thats not a healthy line

Oscillating
Random SNR dips
Large CRC spikes even tho interleaved.
SES even tho interleaved

Looking at the 30 day history doesnt show a line with a low enough ES rate to stay in green for long enough on stable DLM profile.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 03:10:22 PM »

Isn't there a pumping station or something opposite the end of Linden Rd, next to the alleyway?

Its an electricity sub station.

Thats not a healthy line

Oscillating
Random SNR dips
Large CRC spikes even tho interleaved.
SES even tho interleaved

Looking at the 30 day history doesnt show a line with a low enough ES rate to stay in green for long enough on stable DLM profile.

How on earth low does it have to go then, ignoring the latest issue the max it has been is 34 in 24 hours. I know the line now is not healthy but as I said this happened before and I had 3 BTOR visits never fixed it got capped and then after capping still had the problem until about 4-5 weeks later it went away.

Even if I can get TT to report it to BTOR which is highly unlikely I dont have faith that it would be fixed only fudged.

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 03:44:32 PM »

The reality is that unless it gets much worse such as a complete outage or large speed drop below the handback threshold then its going to be considered "within spec".

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 03:46:04 PM »

I'd give the same advice as SkyECI.
Capping the line about 50-55Mb should see interleaving drop off.
DLM seems to require much lower ES numbers than just ILQ green. I had to get my ES numbers down to (or very close to) single digits.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »

My experience was that by limiting the sync speed, in my case I dropped from 35mbps down to 20mbps the interleaving was released within 3-4 days. However, the banding was not removed.

Does anyone have any information on what needs to happen for banding to be removed also? Other than an Openreach engineer visit.

Just over a week later I'm still on fastpath, but still banded.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »

The reality is that unless it gets much worse such as a complete outage or large speed drop below the handback threshold then its going to be considered "within spec".

The problem last time was that although the connection speed dropped to well below ADSL speeds it was not a solid issue, they did send out 3 different BTOR guys none of whom managed a fix but one did cap me and that took a complaint direct to BT CEO to get it removed.

I'm not going to try to get interleaving removed unless or until the SNRM issue resolves somehow because with these error bursts if DLM did remove it then it wold put it back in no time at all. It is so frustrating that we can all see there is something wrong but I bet if I ask TT to do something they will take one look at the speeds and do naf all as they normally do.

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 05:31:10 PM »

I agree with john and skyeci, if you want fast path, cap your sync speed.

By the way when I said not healthy I didnt mean a physical line fault, I meant just not healthy in terms of noise levels.  There will be line noise on copper broadband, its unavoidable.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 05:43:35 PM »

By the way when I said not healthy I didnt mean a physical line fault, I meant just not healthy in terms of noise levels.  There will be line noise on copper broadband, its unavoidable.

Yes but it is not normally as bad as it is right now.

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2