Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2nd Line Install Procedure  (Read 6385 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
2nd Line Install Procedure
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:50:06 PM »

Hi All,
I'm considering getting a 2nd line installed. Am I correct in assuming that the following will happen:
  • Engineer will use an additional pair of wires from the 10 pair service feed
  • That pair of cables will be connected to a spare pair of cables on the CW1308 cable entering the property
  • In the property the cable will extended if necessary and a new NTE5C will be installed adjacent to the existing one
If there's not a spare pair of cables on the existing CW1308, will the engineer install a new cable into the property? Will they make good if they need to channel out any plaster?
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: 2nd Line Install Procedure
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:05:28 PM »

Engineer will use an additional pair of wires from the 10 pair service feed

Most likely.

That pair of cables will be connected to a spare pair of cables on wires in the CW1308 cable entering the property

Most likely.

In the property the cable will extended if necessary and a new NTE5C will be installed adjacent to the existing one

You should specify where you would like the socket to be located.

If there's not a spare pair of cables on wires in the existing CW1308, will the engineer install a new cable into the property?

Yes.

Will they make good if they need to channel out any plaster?

No. There will be no channelling into plaster and, thus, no making good.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »

^^^^ full marks for The Cat.  ;D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:31:34 PM »

:drink:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:45:27 PM »

Does a 2nd line induce crosstalk on to 1st line ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:58:40 PM »

There have been reports of noticeable crosstalk when both pairs in a drop-cable carry G.993.2 services.

However "noticeable" does not necessarily mean "significant" or "service affecting".  ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 04:40:25 AM »

Yes it does possibly introduce crosstalk, sort of, sort of not, erm. I have three lines - the first and second ones share a drop cable.

Downstream: 2.88 2.82 2.93
Upstream: 0.566 0.440 0.499

But the results don't make any sense in some respects. The figures relative speeds never vary, but all the downstream sync figures do go up and down a bit, while the relative ordering remains as is.

Why does line #1 always have by far the fastest upstream sync rate despite sharing a cable? And the upstream figures regarding the second and third lines make no sense.

Even if we say there is something wrong with the second line then that doesn't explain the comparisons between the first and third.

I have had them for about seven years, can't recall exactly - it might say on the forum even.

--

The NTE5A units (one recently replaced by an NTE5C, to my annoyance) are parked quite close together. I chose to have them in such a position. By a window in the upstairs office, so it minimise the length of outside cable run to zero and inside cable run to zero. There are no extensions, and no filters, however I acquired a faceplate with NTE5C unwillingly. There is no analog telephony, so no need for any filters.

The drop cable comes at height to the nearest corner of the house radially, all in an obsessive effort to avoid any chance of interference from any sources inside the house. I had the one and only point of entry relocated completely by a BT engineer back in 2003 iirc, cutting out a long external and internal cable run. Then the other two lines were installed later. Three ADSL2+ modems live <1m from the NTE5s each on the end of a piece of Tandy/ADSL Nation RJ11-RJ11 cable (http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15910.0.html). Then there are ethernet cables going to my router nearby, more ethernet to main switch and various long CAT7 cables going off to devices including several WAPs.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 07:34:05 AM »

Does a 2nd line induce crosstalk on to 1st line ?

Classed as a percentage of the total cross-talk encountered on the entirety of its length from Exchange/FTTC Cab to premises .......................... negligible.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »

Agree with Black Sheep, when you consider the lengths, and my numbers make no sense.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 10:09:53 AM »

My brother briefly had two lines running fttc, it made no noticeable difference to the original line.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 10:47:04 AM »

I have two VDSL2 lines. The installation of the second line was as described above. The two lines do interact, but it is inconsequential in terms of performance. Not as significant as the crosstalk introduced in general. Had a brief power outage this morning and momentarily saw a 20Mbps surge in attainable on both.  :o
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 09:43:48 PM »

. . . and no filters, however I acquired a faceplate with NTE5C unwillingly. There is no analog telephony, so no need for any filters.

You need to obtain a short patch lead, BT 431A (or 631A) plug on one end and a modular 6P2C plug on the other end. Remove the SSFP from the NTE5/C and connect via the exposed "test" socket.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 10:03:39 PM »

Indeed, just going back to the old dial-up modem type BT cables. Need a short one of very high quality but very hard to google these now as they are an endangered species or very long, obviously, for modems, or very cheap and nasty for telephony or special-purpose devices.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »

You could plug a UK-USA adaptor (eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT431A-RJ11-telecom-test-adaptor/dp/B000Q8L33E) into the test socket and then use a standard RJ11-RJ11 cable.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 12:07:11 AM »

You could plug a UK-USA adaptor (eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT431A-RJ11-telecom-test-adaptor/dp/B000Q8L33E) into the test socket and then use a standard RJ11-RJ11 cable.
 :)

Beware that if it's an NTE5C (the newer master socket) that you need to be weary of the height of the adaptor, I had one which unfortunately wouldn't go in because the top half was partially being blocked by the plastic on the upper half of the NTE5C master socket (test socket exposed).
Pages: [1] 2

anything