Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Getting messsge re:Serious vulnerability: across to family members  (Read 1544 times)

renluop

• Kitizen

They have several computers, some used for work purposes, but are even less informed than I am on matters computer. :o
Given the uses for work and the nature of the threats, I'd like to make sure they know its seriousness and the need to update their systems.

How would any of you compose the message to them in terms even simpler than I'd understand? Please.

pooclah

• Reg Member
Re: Getting messsge re:Serious vulnerability: across to family members
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »

Rather than trying to explain maybe show them that the big boys are taking it seriously

Microsoft
Dell
HP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »

I very much doubt if this latest shock-horror will lead to the Earth crashing into the Sun, any more than did the last shock-horror

From what I have seen,  no reason to panic, or do more than simply apply OS updates.   Maybe also visit the machine supplier’s website (Dell, HP, whatever) to see if they recommend any further action.   I suspect most will not.

Expert users, as I arrogantly regard myself, often choose to defer updates, or to skip them altogether, for reasons that would be hard to justify to inexpert users (or to other experts).   But unless you or your friends consider yourselves expert, and are prepared to face the embarrassment of being dramatically proven wrong, simply enable automatic updates.   Doing so greatly reduces chances of anything bad happening and anyway, not much more you can do.

And of course, be careful as always when opening emails, clicking on links etc.  If in doubt, do not click. :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:55:58 PM »

@pooclah Good suggestion! @SLM Probably you're right, but I'd much rather inform my folk, then let them deal as they wish.

In my case two updates were advised by Dell and I had to flash a new BIOS

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:52:19 AM »

Something like

“These updates serve to protect your computer from possible future malicious programs’ attempts to steal information or even take control of your computer. Such things are at the moment still only a potential risk, and there is no reason to be unduly alarmed.”

What about that ?

anything