Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dlink DSL-320B-Z1 modem bitswap is off, truly  (Read 1100 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Dlink DSL-320B-Z1 modem bitswap is off, truly
« on: January 14, 2018, 02:10:45 AM »

I just noticed from http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17065.msg313922.html#msg313922 that the stupid DLink DSL-320B-Z1 modem really does truly have bitswap off, it's not just a UI bug. The poster tested it and says it is indeed slow+crap (as you would expect) with it 'off'. So AA shipping them with defaults is a bad thing.

Fortunately I have doctored all of mine anyway. But I'm ashamed to say that I have never got round to testing ‘on’-vs-‘off’ performance. But, trusting our wise and clueful poster G.DMT, the sync speed immediately goes up, so it is real, not a user interface lie - an unlikely idea which came to me and was never disproved later. I missed that original comment and all the time since then I was uncertain about whether bitswap really was off or whether it was just a UI red-herring (unlikely).

The fact that sync speeds are lower slightly is surprising to me, perhaps it shouldn't be. I just assumed that performance would be really really crap but in the sense of poor reliability, or lifetime between resyncs. However perhaps the poor reliability shows straight away in initial line quality test [?] - is that possible ? -  because it's based on actual achieved performance not just line measurements. Or else perhaps the DSLAM has wisdom and downgrades speeds for safety just because it has noted the lack of bitswap (wild speculation). In fact with poor reliability DLM would downgrade your speed anyway of course, but it would take time to see that effect develop.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:24:30 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Dlink DSL-320B-Z1 modem bitswap is off, truly
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:13:41 AM »

that thread written by g.dmt is superb, pretty much a manual. And he or she wrote some useful tools for raspberry pi as well, just need to get myself going again.