Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recommend ADSL router with decent firewall  (Read 5161 times)

tanndo

• Just arrived
Recommend ADSL router with decent firewall
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »

Hi,

I've just signed up to plusnet ADSL broadband and have received their Sagemcom 2704N router/modem

The line isn't live yet but looking at reviews I can see this router isn't going to meet my needs.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review

Can anyone recommend me some alternatives.

I'm fairly technical, e.g. I have once managed to flash a wrt54g with dd-wrt but have little knowledge
on broadband / modems / current routers.

The main thing I want to have is a fairly easy to configure firewall that allows me restrict access,
e.g. to block/allow based on IP ranges / MAC address / ports / websites
and be able to schedule this. E.g. so I can stop kids accessing youtube after 9pm.
Obviously will need to have a configurable DHCP server.

Nice to haves I can see myself using in the future would include
  logging / monitoring / reporting (e.g. traffic / bandwidth / IP browsing history)
  compatible with a VPN service
  port forwarding
  VLAN support
  SNMP / DSL Stats (just reading about these on kitz!)

Any advice much appreciated
Thanks
T

hushcoden

• Reg Member
Re: Recommend ADSL router with decent firewall
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »

Are you looking for an all-in-one device or a modem+router set up?

I would probably start with a ZyXEL 3925-B10B or a Billion BiPAC 8800axl R2 and see if your requirements are met.

If not, you can always buy a separate router, i.e. Netgear R7800 or Asus RT-AC86U and you can configure the modem in bridge mode.

tanndo

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »

thanks,
not that sure if want all in one or just modem router but maybe the latter:
currently I have basic one sky send you but have turned wifi off and
it goes to a netgear gigabit switch, have an old  buffalo whr-g300n
with two ssids for the wifi.

what do you mean modem in bridge mode? does that mean I'd still need
the plusnet modem and bridge it to the router ?

just looking on amazon the zyxel and billion are a bit more than i wanted
to spend.
Don't mind using old tech if i can pick something up cheap or second hand off ebay

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:28:44 PM »

Bridge mode means that you need your modem being connected to a router such as a Netgear R7000 (I am using that model since three years and it never let me down) or a newer R7800 as well Asus with the most recent RT-AC86U or the older but still valid RT-AC68U...

As for the modem itself, a few users of this forum are using ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A in bridge mode and they are very happy about its peformance and you should be able to find it on ebay at a cheaper price than the VMG3925-B10B...

There is also the VMG132-B10D but several users here have been advised that it uses a different chipset (BCM63381) than the VMG1312-B10A (BCM63168) which it translates in a lower sync speed.

Lastly, I recall I read that also the old Billion BiPAC 8800NL (BCM63168) is pretty good at least in bridge mode, but it's now discontinued so you can only find it second hand. And the second version, the BiPAC 8800NL R2, seems not to be as good as the first revision due to the different chipset, that is (BCM63381).

tanndo

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »

Thanks, I think I am going towards a separate modem and router set up, probably will go for cheap router I can put dd-wrt on and connect to adsl modem in bridge mode as you say. I wil see if I can find the vmg1312 on eBay

tanndo

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:53:08 PM »

Also looking at tp-link td-w9970, only £30 new!

tanndo

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »

Hi,

just an update. Went for TD-W9970 from amazon £29.99.
I received the V2 hardware.

Still on sky until next week with their SR102 so got username and password via
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router-passwords/59028-simple-tool-extracting-username-password-your-router.html
Basically just run the tool and reboot the SR102 to get sky username and password

Disconnected SR102 and plugged in TD-W9970
Browse to http://192.168.1.1/ login admin/admin, follow wizard, auto detect settings
put in sky username password and bosh up and running :-)

Then upgraded firmware from http://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/TD-W9970.html
to 170919 (backed up settings first but they where retained after upgrade anyway).

Had a quick look at the router side and looks pretty powerfull. This model can't take DD-WRT
but will run in modem only mode should I want to add a separate router at a later date.

One question:
when my plusnet goes live next week do you think I need to use their supplied modem/router
initially or should it be ok to use the TD-W9970 right from the off ?

Thanks
T

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »

I've just signed up to plusnet ADSL broadband and have received their Sagemcom 2704N router/modem

Was about to respond to the question in your last post but re-read your first post and realised that you intend to (remain) on ADSL service with Plusnet, the Sagemcom modem/router you quote would appear to verify this as PN supply a Hub One (re-badged BT HH5a) for VDSL service.
Do you have a particular reason for choosing (remaining) on ADSL service, is VDSL available ?

One question:
when my plusnet goes live next week do you think I need to use their supplied modem/router

With your present provider, Sky, I would think you would be LLU'ed at your exchange, Sky have LLU presence at most major exchanges to the best of my knowledge.
With PN you certainly won't be LLU'ed, don't know if that could be an issue regarding which modem is connected during the line migration, probably not.

As you will obviously have to enter your new PN ID & PW after line migration to obtain a PPP session regardless of whatever modem is connected I would think that your TP Link unit should work on the first connection.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »

If you leave the TD-W9970 connected to the circuit, at the time of the change-over I would expect it to resynchronise with the Plusnet DSLAM/MSAN but, obviously, not authenticate.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 09:13:08 PM »

Disconnected SR102 and plugged in TD-W9970
Browse to http://192.168.1.1/ login admin/admin, follow wizard, auto detect settings
put in sky username password and bosh up and running :-)

Are you saying this modem has got the Client Identifier String feature aka DHCP Option 61 ?

tanndo

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 03:46:11 PM »

thanks, yes staying with ADSL on plusnet. I'll try just using the W9970 and see if it connects
when i switch to plusnet. Not sure about option 61 and this router. On the sky forums they say:
DEC 2016 - It is no longer a requirement to extract your username and password, at least for fibre connections. For several months now as long as there is an option61 string sent then anything will work
e.g. abcdefgh@skydsl|1234567890abcdef will work

Anyway the W9970 has been fine for last 24 hours (see attached status screenshot)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »

Yes, the Sky "option 61" is I believe more commonly known as TR-069, a remote management utility where your provider can download information directly to your modem.
Prior to my ADSL/VDSL migration with Plusnet, I connected the supplied PN Hub One and it connected (ADSL2+) without any requirement on my  part to enter my ID & PW.

Can't say if your TP Link modem/router will support this function, you could check the GUI and see if anything like TR-069 is listed and if so ensure it's enabled.

Worst case scenario on the migration day after Sky service goes dead and PN takes over you have to enter your new ID & PW manually after the modem re-synch's to the exchange.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »

Yes, the Sky "option 61" is I believe more commonly known as TR-069, . . .

I would be very surprised if that was the case.  :-\

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »

Not knowing a lot about Sky services you are very likely correct, what I should have said (meant) was it looks like it produces the same results as TR-069 action, ie., in this case, download ID & PW from ISP to modem without the need for the OP to conifigure manually.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »

Not knowing a lot about Sky services you are very likely correct, . . .

Ah, I see.

. . . what I should have said (meant) was it looks like it produces the same results as TR-069 action, ie., in this case, download ID & PW from ISP to modem without the need for the OP to conifigure manually.

That makes good sense and I would agree.  :)

Pages: [1] 2