Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Drop in attainable D/S on switching provider! Is this correct?  (Read 1123 times)

milgo

Drop in attainable D/S on switching provider! Is this correct?
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »

I have a question for the learned amongst you.  Yesterday I moved from Sky 80/20 to BT 54/10 Now everything is as I expected except for the fact  that my attainable downstream speed has dropped from 82 to 67.  I would have thought that whatever profile I am on the attainable down and up would have remained constant...or have I got this wrong?

Thanks

gazaai

• Reg Member
Re: Drop in attainable D/S on switching provider! Is this correct?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:07:21 PM »

If your an ECI Cabinet before you may have had interleaving enabled which gives a high attainable value.
Or if you are on a Huawei cabinet, since the line got changed yesterday you wont have G.INP enabled yet and the attainable will be much lower.

That would be my reasoning behind it anyway...
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »

As above, perfectly normal.
Pretty much only those on fastpath/ECI retain the same DLM profile after an ISP switch.
Everyone else will see their sync and/or max attainable change considerably during an ISP switch.

I'm synced at roughly 50Mb. If I switched ISP tomorrow I would drop to roughly 35-36Mb.
That's the difference between "interleaving, 6dB snrm target" and "retransmission, 3dB snrm target.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

milgo

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »

I see.  Yes I'm on a Huawei cabinet and I have a HG612 connected between the router and NTE and did notice that both G.INP and Interleaving were no longer active.  Thanks.