Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tiscali LLU - Slow Speeds Continue...  (Read 3741 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Tiscali LLU - Slow Speeds Continue...
« on: May 14, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »

Hi kitz,

I have been recently in contact with Tiscali and they most recently told me that my slow speeds are due to my internal wiring? They are also blaming low SNR Margin Rates for the issue.

I mentioned that I may be on the incorrect profile but am yet to hear anything from them regarding that.

Only thing is, before switching to LLU, the service's SNR Margin was always 12 or 11, and I never had 3 or 4 dB rates in the DAY???? :o

So, is it possible that it is to do with them that i am getting slow speeds and low SNR rates, as as I said, I never had these issues before??

Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Tiscali LLU - Slow Speeds Continue...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:27:43 PM »

Hi

How slow is slow?  Theres several places where slow download speeds can occur.
Can you do an adslguide speedtest and post the results please.
..  and also up to date linestats.

From your other thread you were connecting at 4608, which is much lower than you would normally expect to see on a 30dB attenuation line, and as eric said "either a fault has developed on your line or a large source of interference has recently started up near you."

>> they most recently told me that my slow speeds are due to my internal wiring.

This is possible but in the other thread, you already said you were connected and testing from the master socket. Have you tried another filter just in case yours has failed?

Otherwise you need to advise Tiscali that you are connected at the master socket (but you cant connect to the test socket because you dont have an NTE5 faceplate) in an attempt to discount that it is internal wiring thats causing the problem.
You also need to assert that this problem has only occurred fairly recently and you were previously able to download at 6.5Mbps.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 07:27:57 PM »

Hi kitz,

Slowest speed since upgrade: 3778.06 Kbps ( 3.7 Mbps )

Here are the stats:

Dwn Up
SNR Margin         10    24  dB
Line Attenuation  30     17 dB
Data Rate           4704 448 kbps

Although this does drop below 6dB in the evenings and drops out a lot...

Test as asked:-
Date     14/05/08 19:19:30
Speed Down    3894.45 Kbps ( 3.8 Mbps )
Speed Up    372.62 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )

I have tried an alternative filter, that made no difference to speeds or SNR margin.

Tiscali do know that I am connected to the Master and NOT the tester as they did ask to connect to the Tester socket.

Regards to a fault: What type of fault could occur, tie pair issues? VP are a bit congested?

As with the SNR Margin, I notice that it drops a bit lower in the evenings, as you can see from the latest stats!

I have all of the 'evidence' for tiscali within my ThinkBroadband account which clearly shows that I was able to download at 6.5mpbs:-
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1185643733335107954.html

As you can see, this was a while back, since then speeds never got over 6mbps but never really worried about it, but now as they are in some cases under 4mbps i thought it was time I contacted them.

Thanks for the prompt reply

Jamie

Kind Regards
Jamie

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:29:02 AM »

Those speeds(sync) look quite good for your attenuation.

Because it is your sync speeds that are the issue tiscali will probably just fob you off. What modem are you using?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 04:46:07 PM »

Hi,

Router is a D Link DSL-G624T with Firmware V3.00B01T02.UK-A.20060621

I am currently in contact with Tiscali who are trying to resolve the problem as my speeds and SNR Margin was never that low before switching to their LLU network.

Thanks
Kind Regards
Jamie

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:46:39 PM »

You could ask them to put you on a 6dB profile. That will get you some extra speed.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:14:43 PM »

Hi,

I am yet to hear back from them on the forums as they aren't the quickest at replying on there!

Although I have asked them twice to check my line profile and they are yet to confirm they have checked it as they are still blaming my own equipment for the problem! >:(

Thanks

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »

Hi All,

I thought I would just ask, as someone did mention, what problems at the ISP end can actually cause low SNR Margins etc?

Thanks
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »

>> what problems at the ISP end can actually cause low SNR Margins etc

Low SNR isnt actually anything to do with the ISP - its between your home and the exchange and/or in your home.
Noise is introduced on the telephone wire some where in the local loop or home and drowns out the Signal, therefore the Signal to Noise Ratio is lower.

However if the Target SNR profile is to high (set by the ISP/BTw) - that can affect the maximum speed at which you can sync at.
See - An explanation of SNR and SNR Margin
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything