Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G Fast Pilot live in Bath  (Read 3371 times)

KIAB

• Reg Member
G Fast Pilot live in Bath
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »

Well, G.Fast is live in Bath apparantly, still nothing is showing on DSL Checker for me.

http://news.openreach.co.uk/pressreleases/new-ultrafast-broadband-network-launched-in-bath-2350124

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: G Fast Pilot live in Bath
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »

cab1, combe down exchange  - was done must be 6 months ago.. still nothing available to order  ???

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:40:09 AM »

At Bathampton Cab 39 has G Fast pod, but Cab 10 no G Fast pod Warminster Road,at junction of Down Lane, & Cab 30 Warminster Road, junction of Bathampton Lane, most likely needs reshelling before it gets a G Fast pod.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 06:04:16 PM »

The UK locations where Gfast is being piloted are:

Armley, West Yorkshire; Bath; Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire; Bolton, Greater Manchester; Brierley Hill, West Midlands; Brighton Hove, East Sussex; Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire; Cheltenham, Gloucestershire; Chorlton, Manchester; Derby, Derbyshire; Donaldson, Edinburgh; Eltham, London; Gillingham, Kent; Glasgow Bridgeton; Glasgow Douglas; Glasgow Langside; Great Barr, West Midlands; Halesowen, West Midlands; Hammersmith, West London; Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire; High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire; Hunslet, West Yorkshire; Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire; Kidbroke, London; Liverpool Central; Lofthouse Gate, West Yorkshire; Luton, Bedfordshire; Manchester East; Mansfield, Nottinghamshire; Newbury, Berkshire; Newmarket, Suffolk; North Birmingham; Parsons Green, London; Portsmouth North End; Pudsey, West Yorkshire; Rochdale, Manchester; Rusholme, Manchester; St. Austell, Cornwall; Clapham, Balham and Upton Park, London; Swansea, Wales; Swindon, Wiltshire; Sheffield; Wansdworth, London and Whitchurch, South Glamorgan.

Press Release   •   Dec 27, 2017 10:44 GMT
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

KIAB

• Reg Member

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 12:56:08 AM »

Same as my link. :shrug2:

Then it must be good.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »

Live in the bath sounds very unsafe.   :o
Windows XP

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »

Have found Cab 31 (can't locate cab) live for G Fast, covers Sydney Place,Holburne Musuem,Bath area, barely a mile from me.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »

I noticed this post on another site. Someone giving their experience of G.fast.

I would not hold you breath. I have Gfast and it is just copper technology.

I will write it up more fully in a few week but the experience so far is

Plusses
– faster than FTTC
– lower latency than FTTC about 4/5us
-290Mb/s is a real world speed for downloads using SFTP etc not just speediest
-47 Mb/s is a real world speed for uploads using SFTP etc not just speediest

Minuses
-it is copper technology with all that it entails
– took a DLM reset followed by a reset of the POD (I’m the only connection on it) to get progressively 97 then 200 and now 290 on a line that is not Impaired and measures 431 on the OR test meter. No sign of the promised 329 through put downstream. With the test meter reporting a line length of less than 150m.
– OR are absolutely incapable of having or using a diagnostic flow tree. And once things don’t work switching things off and on again is the only way forwards. That includes the remote reboot of the shiny green box: yes really. As I am the only connection to it they could do that that got things to the 290. I used to think this was because OR didn’t want to recognise faults but I am now of the view that the people involved are incapable of thinking thoroughly and logically. The poor old engineer was on the phone for ages trying to get help and it was down to me to suggest that we try a different modem before wasting even more time – as it turned out the modem was perfectly OK but it seems an obvious swap out to make before assuming that the DSLAM is at fault.
-sometimes very odd traffic shaping that makes no sense at all as there is no contention at the Gfast pod as we are the only connection

I used to work in the world of getting 500Mhz down wires and measuring things accurately. It is not easy even in a lab.

And I am afraid that the biggest issue is that the technology is too complicated for the people involved. Lets be honest pure fibre or fibre GPON is actually simpler to implement and test than this stuff with all the vagaries of copper.

So there you have it in a nutshell.

It works but it is not perfect. And now I think I know why Gavin was looking so stressed when I saw him having lunch in the club in October. The lunch was very very good so it can’t have been that………

Because this is only one persons view we'll have to wait for others to give feedback before getting a more accurate picture of things.

I can see that if they are having these types of problems then it explains the delayed/slow rollout of G.fast.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »

Interesting of those g.fast estimated release by BTw for Live Cambridge area.

[attachment deleted by admin]