Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Meet Somhairle and Oisín  (Read 4632 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Meet Somhairle and Oisín
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 04:05:08 AM »

Ah, I understood Burakkucat's point Google's vocabulary failure. "bodach" means an old man. (Can also be used as a term of affection, exactly like "old" in English, interesting parallel. “How old Cary Grant?”)

Google is improving. It used to just not even try. Then later on it got confused with Irish. Now it is even getting the two languages sorted out. Online translation of Irish tends to be much better, probably there is better machine-readable dictionary availability.

Top tips
1. http://www2.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/faclair/sbg/lorg.php is your man, but it doesn't do inflections or initial consonant mutation for you. Unfortunately uses dumbed-down modern spelling for children. (May fail to match on ó é á unless you set the tick boxes to don't-care-accents ? - I forget)

Or better :

2. http://www.dwelly.info is the ultimate, but again it does not have a search for all word forms. It also uses traditional spelling (thank god, for the most part, although I do approve of the modern change to using {a} for schwa instead of Dwelly's {u}) not the dumbed-down post 1980s spelling system for schoolchildren and sheep, called "GOC".

For Scottish Gaelic I use phonetic é, ó and è ò where correct, and also á where appropriate, but only to mark non-schwa (does not ever mean 'long'). There is no í or ú in Scottish Gaelic.

Modern and Old Irish uses only acute accents, as is traditional, meaning long vowels, not stress placement (not necessarily) and never the grave accent at all.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:10:17 AM by Weaver »

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 05:05:18 AM »

Cute picture. My dog Dalton the laid back German Shepherd is currently sprawled across my bed.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 06:41:31 AM »

more day 0 pics, dire quality from Janet's iPhone in ver bad light, I'm afraid.

http://flic.kr/p/DNr558
    http://flic.kr/p/22nFqYA
    http://flic.kr/p/23pBrVm

Kittens on my neighbour’s knee, it all turned into a play-fight. They finally slept for hours after their long car journey up from the Borders.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »

Very cute.   Enjoy your new furbabies :)

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »

Day 1, kits on Janet’s knee. Worn out after playing.

https://flic.kr/p/Fkfu5S
https://flic.kr/p/23t5QcH

Breaking news: Janet has remembered something. It turns out that our Caoimhe and Fergus might be related to the two new kits. The breeders are good friends and share ownership of the kits’ all-black father, and there might be some link further back.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:00:57 PM by Weaver »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 10:56:30 PM »

They look so sweet curled up like that. :D

Possibly may be a link.   Zoe and Ziggy have same father despite coming from different breeders and the age gap.   
Dad was a Grand Champion, so its not unusual for a good quality cat to be in demand as sire.   In pedigree circles the vast majority of males are sold as pet only unless they have potential for showing.

---
ETA just found the breeder.   Their daddy is good stock, also a Grand Champion. :)  Looks like the owners show, then stud to try and keep best lineage going.   
They will keep any with good Show potential themselves (or sell at premium price).  The others will go as pet only & not on the active breeding list to ensure no accidental messing of lineage by cross or inter breeding.  Your boys are registered non active to stop you breeding from them*   Thus the breeder is being careful with the lineage and it is likely there will be a link further back with your other 2.   

*Non active means they are pedigree and you could possibly show, but not breed from them.   Or if they do accidentally pass on their genes, then any subsequent babies will not be recognised by the GCCF as pedigree.    Mine are the same - means that you get a decent quality cat but at reduced cost...  but more importantly puts a stop to any bad breeding and the cat equivalent of puppy farming. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 06:19:04 AM »

I know so little, never having had any contact with pedigree cats before, always rescue cats. Here's Caoimhe's lot: http://www.eireachdail-siamese-oriental-bicolours.co.uk/girls.html

Many years ago I had a small oriental silver tabby moggy whom we called Daisy. I loved her a lot, she had a sweet nature and she lived to a great age. We originally got her from an advert in the local vet's in Hampstead. Her mum apparently ripped the cat door to pieces to get out to the local male talent and the beautiful daisy was the result. Many years after she died I was still hooked on the oriental personality and yowl. So Janet unbeknown to me got two kittens (whom we christened Fergus and Caoimhe) as a birthday present for me. They just arrived one day at a hotel where we were staying, brought by their breeder ! Later on we couldn't find the kits and got hotel staff to search. In the end they were found curled up in a bundle in the bottom of a long, trailing bedpost curtain.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:33:13 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 11:21:57 PM »

Day 5 Caoimhe’s birthday: Caoimhe crawls into box in front of blazing stove never minding that Oisín Beag is asleep in it. http://flic.kr/p/JEZYfX

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 01:13:25 AM »

I know so little, never having had any contact with pedigree cats before, always rescue cats.

Strikes a chord.

Three quarters of my life ago, the only cat I have ever owned who accepted me as servient human was a far from pedigree tortoiseshell from an unintended litter.   The vet had decreed that the mother would not be capable of keeping the entire litter alive, so only chance was to farm them out, at just 5 weeks old.  I’d bern staying in a hotel at the time and in a drunken attempt to impress a young waitress (which didn’t work) I volunteered to adopt a kitten.

Cutting long story short, it was a good relationship, that cat looked after me well.  I like to think that in return, she appreciated the odd bit of Coley poached in milk too, her favourite treat.  Happy days.   :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 01:49:21 AM »

Coley fish in milk. I'll remember that tip. Perhaps a belated treat for Caoimhe’s birthday.

Ciarán my greyhound is being extremely good with the kittens, as always. He lies on the bed right next to them quite peacefully. He knows which cats are bad news, from memory. Orange / Tiddy Puss whacked Ciarán frequently, making the dog yelp, so the dog is always worried if that particular cat gets too near or worse still looks him in the eye. Ciarán lets out a tiny growl if the kittens pat him or molest him in his dog-bed, but on the whole they are good in return, giving him some respect. They look at him seeming to give the impression that they think “He’s very big, whatever he is.”
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:53:14 AM by Weaver »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 10:49:14 AM »

Everything in moderation, of course.   

I think the poached fish was suggested by somebody (maybe a vet) as a treat, when she was recovering from surgery after a health prob.    A Waitrose lady then offered to help when she saw me eyeing the fish counter and, when I said it was for a cat, volunteered that her own cat was especially fond of Coley.

The grateful cat subsequently went completely loopy at the scent it created, scrambling at my ankles as I prepared it followed by loud wailing, impatiently dashing in circles around the kitchen while I let it cool, and nearly brought the house down with her purring when finally served up.  So it became a ‘once in a while treat’, always with same antics reenacted.

I really don’t know whether it should form part of a regular balanced diet.   Any anyway, if it did, it would have stopped being a treat.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »

My mums cat Joe, would only eat poached cod (poached in water), very fussy he was, we accidentally bought some coley, he just gave us that look of disgust, then walked away.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 09:24:09 PM »

Joe really is a beauty!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 04:41:02 PM »

Day 5 and the new kits were curled up with Caoimhe. Last night she was in a heap with two kittens cuddled up to her back, keeping her warm, whilst she was in the crook of my arm in bed. And we all fell asleep like that.

Caoimhe really has been very good with the two new tinies. The spitting only lasted about five days, and I had imagined she would attack them and then be in a state of outrage for weeks.

Oisín, I might have mentioned, is the OIr form. Modern Scottish Gaelic has the form Oiseán too (oisean confusingly means ‘corner’, accidentally). The word comes up in old songs still. “Neart Oisein Mhìn”, if I remember correctly, a big if, comes up in one of the versions of the lullaby Tàladh Dhòmhnaill Ghuirm. I do hope I remember correctly after many many years. One other version explicitly mentions the invoking the strength of the ‘bull (tarbh) that leaps so high’ too, but in that version I’m thinking of “Oisean” isn't named. Many are available for a listen on the web or Youtube. One of my favourites is Cathy-Ann Nic a’ Phì’s haunting version, it is recorded on a stunning CD that she made. Things are made more difficult because of the strong possibility that the form heard in the song is a genitive. (Vocative is, to my mind, not a fit.)

I may have suggested, some while back, that that latter new form has possibly come about by forcing an ‘expected’ masculine diminutive -án ending onto it either (i) after a weakening to an indistinct short vowel (in Insular Celtic unstressed), or else (ii) after reanalysis, after a quite incorrect analysis that the -ín was an (Irish) feminine diminutive form, so driving the creation of a new masculine equivalent. (iii) A third, to me less plausible, alternative is a reanalysis that, when encountered in certain syntactic environments, the high final vowel form is a genitive of some x, and x = -an or -án is the solution.

I’m actually wondering if some of these old references may literally mean ‘a little bull’, not necessarily invoking the hero, but that would imply that a word (which was a non-proper-name) related to OIr oss (and not **os(s)an ) survived for a good while. So for all I know a baby could be sent off to sleep being called ‘a little bull’ and strength invoked for him. If I have mistakenly identified the hero with the word in the song then mea culpa indeed. Anyway if I have misunderstood I need to de-capitalise the song.

Many animal species have got mixed up in Celtic. Locally frogs and toads. Salmon and trout sometimes. Historically, a sheep (caora) and a goat (L caper.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:09:44 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 10:26:18 PM »

Janet has discovered that Caoimhe's parents are in fact great grandparents to the two new kittens,  as she expected.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:12:37 AM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything