Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: UK ISP BT to Launch New Smart Hub X Router with G.fast Broadband  (Read 994 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/01/uk-isp-bt-launch-new-smart-hub-x-router-g-fast-broadband.html

Customers taking part in BT’s trial of the new ‘up to’ 330Mbps capable G.fast broadband technology, which aims to cover 10 million premises across the United Kingdom by the end of 2020, look set to receive a new SmartHub X wireless router that integrates the G.fast modem inside.

Previously those taking part in Openreach’s earlier pilot have tended to receive a separate Huawei MT992 modem (example), which would connect into the back of your existing wireless router via the WAN port. Initially we had expected that the first commercial products would follow this approach but instead it looks as if at least some ISPs are already playing with fully integrated single-device solutions for G.fast.

Visually the new Smart Hub X (HomeHub 7 if you prefer) looks very similar to BT’s existing Smart Hub router for FTTC (VDSL2) lines, except for the fact that it adds G.fast support and on the backside they’ve added an additional port for telephone connections, which sits immediately next to the RJ11 broadband socket. Otherwise you get the same 4 x Gigabit Ethernet ports and a 1 x USB socket as the original model.

I've not had any problems with the current smarthub I'm using. It's sync'ing at nearly the clean max of my line. Lets hope the new hub can match the performance, especially on the G,.fast side.

It'll still be interesting how G.fast in its current OR setup performs in the real world.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2