Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyone recommend a good brand of handheld video camera?  (Read 1979 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Anyone recommend a good brand of handheld video camera?
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »

I'm thinking of taking a dip in to the world of youtubing and I need a handheld camera for the job.

I looked on Amazon and I'm surprised that most of the cameras are smaller these days and most are under £100. I remember years ago when I looked at cameras they were the big heavy ones costing a few hundred quid.

So with all the choices of video cameras out there, does anyone have a recommendation for a certain brand/make?

Any help appreciated!
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Anyone recommend a good brand of handheld video camera?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »

About ten years ago, I bought a little JVC miniDV machine, pretty much on spur of moment, about £150 or so iirc.

I subsequently got a bit 'into it', invested another  £few in editing software, and began producing home movies of various family trips.  With a little bit of effort both at shooting and editing, the results far exceeded expectations and I found myself being 'booked' as official videographer for formal family events, including a military reunion, three golden weddings and an actual wedding!

All of above, with same little cheapie camera.  I would assume modern technology is even better so, based on my experience,  don't be afraid of low price tags.   :)

Probably stating the obvious, but ignore any mention of digital zooms, and get one with a decent optical zoom, mine was 28x I think.

Edit - corrected "DVI" to "Mini DV".  Probably obsolete now, that was a small tape cartridge, very much like a miniature VHS cassette.   May be wrong, but I would imagine modern technologies to be mechanically simpler, hence cheaper. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:34:30 PM by sevenlayermuddle »