Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses  (Read 7844 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses
« on: January 05, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »

Notification to members that emails to any of the following domains are being bounced - Again!

@live.com
@outlook.com
@hotmail.com

This is affecting the registration confirmation for new forum members and notifications for subscribed topics & personal messages.
Yet again we appear to be an innocent victim of Microsoft's 'Smart Filter' despite following all their rules.
The domain is clean and definitely not on any blacklists - See MX Toolbox Blacklist check.

---

Some of you will recall this happened several months ago and MS eventually agreed that we should not have been blacklisted by their servers and agreed to mitigate the domain. See Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses

Interestingly since it happened the first time I have been contacted by several other innocent domain holders who found themselves in the same situation and asking what they should do.   We are not alone - they also blocked mail from TalkTalk - link   ::)

----
ETA    *** Now Resolved ***

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:27:51 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »

Kitz: that's a really really useful link to mxtoolbox, I may have used them some years ago, but I forgot.

Btw: Anyone who is having problems, I am very happy with my email service provider, have used them for over 15 years would be happy to recommend them to everyone. Other kitizens will I'm sure have good tips too.

If anyone is getting delivery problems I suspect a number of kitizens might be able to make helpful suggestions to improve the “reputation” of emails in the opinion of inbound mail servers with their anti-spam checking code. One thing that can be done is to simply send a test email to someone such as me who can get an anti-spam checker’s detailed report on contributors to the spaminess of your particular email. I use SpamAssassin on the inbound mail server to check incoming mail and it bins a lot, marks some as suspicious.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »

Here we go round and round in circles again.  >:(

In the meantime Im trying to sort something for my own mail and being flooded with not delivered PM notifications, topic notifications and new subscription failures. 

I've manually activated new accounts... and Im about to unsubscribe notifications for a few MS mail accounts (sorry guys, but my mail box is bad enough without bounce messages for PMs and subscribed topic failures).

I thought I had found the perfect solution - it seems to be a common issue so there is a mod to stop people being able to sign up with hotmail & outlook email addresses.     Just tried to install the mod, but its failed at the same point one of the other mods I have installed failed at a few months ago.   
I didn't say anything at the time but I had to delay installing an update which affects core registration files..  but for the sake of security I installed the update.... but we were a layer of protection down against spammers.   It took several weeks to sort that, but everything is now back in place as far as anti-spam goes  (You guys wont have noticed any difference thanks to mods being on alert and I think we managed to catch most of them by other means).

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr... just grrrrrr.   
Thanks John for the offer, that is very kind of you...  but atm too fed up to contemplate anything further right now and start relaying mail.  :flower:

/rant

@ Weaver, this isnt a hosting problem as such.. its Microsoft mail and it can affect anyone.   
After my last report I was contacted by other site holders asking how to deal with this issue.     It is also big enough and stupid enough to affect those using TalkTalk email services.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 05:22:56 PM »

Microsoft responded this morning and have agreed to mitigate my IP which they said could take up to 24-48hrs to complete through their system.

Shouldn't have to keep doing this though, its not really a very smart filter is it :(
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 06:25:29 PM »

You certainly shouldn't have to. I wonder how many other site owners are in the same position.
  Eric

anything