Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help with Internal Wiring (longish post with pics)  (Read 6341 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Help with Internal Wiring (longish post with pics)
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 07:36:04 AM »

Rather you than me. I was freezing my thingies off today and that was with my big coat on and hoodie underneath...

Yes I have dial tone on S1 (right port) and S2 (and S3) all the sockets work, although I have only ever had the BB connection on S3.

Many thanks for your added thoughts on this matter.

If you have dial tone on all sockets, you will have DSL at all sockets too. Ergo, bridged-tap scenario ........... and again, I still think going off those photo's and your description, that the 'main one' is at the basement DP.  :)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 11:47:41 AM »

I have organised for a telephone engineer to come and have a look at this next week.

Will let you know how it pans out.

Cheers

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 10:55:16 PM »

Looking at the 240 volt mains wiring is in a bad state as well as the 'rats' nest on data cables, all the building owners should get together and get someone to sort it out to latest IEE regs (Electrical wiring regulations) and tidy the data wiring as  well. It may save the building going up in a fire. !
What is the 'out dated' 5 amp 3 pin sockets for in your flat ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 11:52:01 PM »

Well the telephone engineer came yesterday and tested everything tracking the wiring to the basement DP and said that there weren't two line feeds to the basement with a 'bridged tap' but that I had only one line feed and that therefore I had 'star' wiring in my flat with 2 spurs.

The block must be under my wood flooring.

So what he did was to disconnect the wiring from Socket 1 in the rear bedroom which is on one spur.

As regards the other spur, he rewired it so that S3 has now become my master socket and he installed a NTE5A with a VDSL faceplace. S2 has now become the extension socket which is now filtered as it is 'downstream' from the master socket.

There was no material change in my SNRM, ping rate or other and everything is so far stable.

I have today also ordered TTB Fibre LLU (40/10), from my ISP.

Hopefully my new TP Link W9970 (that I am using merely as a modem & router) will work when the new service is connected next week.

Many thanks to all.

Looking at the 240 volt mains wiring is in a bad state as well as the 'rats' nest on data cables, all the building owners should get together and get someone to sort it out to latest IEE regs (Electrical wiring regulations) and tidy the data wiring as  well. It may save the building going up in a fire. !
What is the 'out dated' 5 amp 3 pin sockets for in your flat ?.

Yes, all the residents have been going on about getting this utility room rewired apparently it has been checked out. Many thanks for pointing it out though.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:13:02 AM by risk_reversal »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 07:32:21 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. Obviously, without being able to see under your flooring, this was the only option left regarding the 'star wiring'.

Your FTTC will now perform far better than it would had the 'star' been left in-situ. Result !!  :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything