Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: burgled today - EE call centre down for 2 days as well - police response  (Read 6706 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

This is the first time I have been burgled but it was not what you might consider a typical burglary.

Even tho I have mobility issues I can manage to walk to my coop which is about 30m from my front door.  I usually do not lock my front door (is still closed) due to how close it is and that I go in the day time.

So today I went to the coop, got my bits, no queue, and was easily out within a few minutes.

On the way back noticed noone anywhere near my property.

When I walked back in bedroom after putting stuff in fridge, first noticed medication bag on floor was moved, then noticed desk seemed to have empty space.  My card wallet (all my debit/credit cards, plus organ donor card,and nhs card) was missing, and all 3 mobile phones missing from bedroom.  Also some stuff had been stepped on and a few items moved.  There is no signs of entry into other rooms but obviously I Cannot be sure.  I havent noticed anything else missing, but I cannot be sure on that either, there is a few gaps in my ps3 games on bookshelf which could be taken games or maybe they were already there.

So I have spent time contacting police, banks, landlord (to arrange new lock as keys look like they got taken also) and just now whilst this post was been written lock finally got changed.  I had to wait first for police to do forensics.

Personally I think someone has been watching me, rather than it been a random event, they had a window of maybe 3 minutes (if they waited for me to go in coop) or maybe 5-6 mins if include me walking there, I am a slow walker due to my health problems but I wasnt that slow today.

Yale locks auto lock when closing the door so for them to be sure the door wasnt locked I think they would have previously watched me enter without unlocking the door, and I even think it could possibly be a neighbour involved.

The police interview if called that was brief, not a lot of information taken, as always I thought of stuff to say after they had gone so I did ring them back afterwards, I wanted assurance the cctv footage to be checked (Cameras across road), to try and track my phone which is still turned on, and to speak to the investigating officer for line of enquiries I want followed.  All I got told is I will be lucky if someone gets in touch by end of tomorrow.

The only company I have failed to report to is EE, it seems their call centre has been down the entire new year period.  So right now not only do I have no mobile phone, but also I dont even have a new one arranged or new sim arranged.  No contents insurance or phone insurance either, so over £1k of phones lost, all private photos etc. means of getting taxi's, my support worker etc.  100s of hours spent on getting phone customised for my use all lost as well.  I have 2 mobile numbers so if both are going to work I am actually going to need 2 phones, a nightmare. Sky have probably hit the jackpot on my next landline usage bill.

I think the only hope of recovery was tracking, police not interested in that line of pursuit so realistically is lost.  Lesson learned is to always lock my front door in future, even if I am just crossing the road.  Contents insurance was considered in the past but the quote for this property was unreal, but I am now seriously considering phone insurance on any new phone. :(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:42:36 PM by Chrysalis »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: burgled today - EE call centre down for 2 days as well - police response
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »

I'm really sorry to hear that. It's a rotten start to the new year. :(
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »

I am sorry to read of your experience.  :(  It must be very unsettling to know that it appears you have been watched.  >:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:15:35 PM »

EE are been unreal £280 to get a new phone via contract early termination or to start a new contract alongside old one.  When I cannot even use it now without a phone.

I got the women to attempt to contact upgrades to broker a deal but that department still has technical issues so no more progress today.

Note the £280 is just to get me to qualify for a phone via renewal, I would have to pay for the other phone on top of that.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 05:43:46 PM »

Its turning into a tv drama.

But for now i will only give the update in PM, as is ongoing with police also. 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 06:07:45 PM »

god, I'm so sorry to hear of this. I have had a three cars stolen, covered by insurance thank goodness, a major house fire (no contents insurance) and umpteen lightning strikes (no insurance until last spring's strike), so I can appreciate your situation.

Insurance is often so ridiculously expensive.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:41:01 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear you've been burgled and to add insult to injury EE want to rip you off. Surely EE can send out new SIM's on your existing contracts and you can buy a phone yourself, there's some great phones out there for a lot less than £280, and a lot of them take two sim's. Is there any tracking on the phones - google/apple location?

I've been burgled a few times over the years, even chased somebody out of a house once, but the worse time was when we came back from a weeks holiday. Luckily we had an alarm so they didn't stay in the house long, but they came back mid week and turned the power off, so the alarm battery went flat. I think if we'd been away longer we'd come back to an empty house. Luckily all we lost was the contents of the freezer, but it haunted us for years afterwards, when we went away it was always there in the back of your mind. We've also had stuff stolen by a workman working in our house whilst I was here, luckily his colleague got suspicious and alerted me and the police recovered the items - when they eventually turned up, took another phone call to them and me threatening to sort him out if they didn't come!

I always used to go for the cheapest insurance, but a few years ago we changed to Hiscox, yes it costs £47 a month, but it gives me peace of mind - they'll pay out if we forget to lock the windows, or turn on the alarm etc and there's no silly low limits etc.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »

What a dreadful experience.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »

So sorry to hear this.  I agree that it sounds like someone had been watching you with it being such a short time-frame. 

EE seem to be totally unsympathetic.   
Many years ago I had my phone stolen from my bag. Vodafone cancelled the phone and sent me out a new SIM card.  They then even transferred my number to the new SIM.   In the meantime I used an old phone. They didn't charge anything for doing that as long as I provided a copy of the police incident report.
Obviously I still had to pay the remainder of my contract but luckily for me there was only about 4-5 months left on it.. and because vodafone also let you renew up to 3 months early then I made do with the old phone for a couple of months. 

I've no idea why EE can't do similar with something like a Galaxy J series which you can pick up quite cheaply but still get most functions.  How much longer of your contract is left to run?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:40:23 AM »

Thanks guys.

Ronski yes an option is to just buy a cheap PAYG, and just ride out the EE contract.  I checked the "here is my device" thingy on google, it confirmed the phone was on, 54% battery, location services disabled.

There has been an update which I provided to a couple of people via PM, where the short version is someone rang back (not to me) from the phone to offer to return it.  If its legit, I could get it back during today (wednesday).

I checked my DHCP table on pfsense to see if the phone was still online nearby via my wifi, was not connected.

Kitz EE offered to send a new sim free no problem, but I got no alternative phone, I was hoping they would be sympathetic in basically waiving my commitment to the rest of the contract provided my new contract was also with them, so they still getting revenue from me.  This contract runs out end of this year.

If I dont get the phone back and EE remain as they are on the replacement, then I can see myself replacing with a low end phone, just so I have the means to communicate, call taxis etc.

In the past I had looked into contents insurance but it was very expensive for my postcode, over £600 a year, EE charge £8-£14 a month for phone insurance which I also consider on the high side.  So consider I have had 2 phones from EE, currently 3 years of contract since I got my first phone from them, if we assume £10 per month insurance thats £360 so actually would have been a net loss on that £280 expense.  Or buying another phone of same model/brand off ebay about break even at best.  Contents insurance also probably would not have paid out as leaving my door unlocked is likely negligence.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-SM-G930F-32GB-Black-Onyx-Unlocked-Smartphone/220054417?iid=381739971048

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 06:59:07 AM »

Hopefully you get your phone back, just be careful as you don't know if they have other motives.

I always look at the total contract cost of a phone compared to buying it separately then getting a SIM only contract, so far I've never had a phone on a contract.

£600 for contents only, that is expensive, ouch!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »

Yeah well police arent interested so if we do meet up with the person there be no police presence, I not heard anything since yesterday, I find the whole thing weird, so right now I am looking for a new phone, but struggling to find anything I consider reasonable value, budget phones sold by the large UK retailers are way overpriced to the point they not much cheaper than a high end phone.  I can get a S7 for a bit more than a A5 costs from giffgaff as an example but its from china and that makes me bit wary.

£150 for a j3 just seems way overpriced for what you get.

EE upgrade systems still down (3rd day running), but the suggestion the operator gave is I would get early upgrade fee 50% waived if I took out a £50+ contract O_o.  I just told them if they want me to wind down my contract they playing roulette with my loyalty at the end of it, I am expecting more like 80-100% waived for a contract of equal value to what I got now so we light years apart.

I think I might settle on the hauwei y6, EE network phone 2 gig ram, quad core 1.4 ghz IPS screen for £70, dont think I going to get much better for the cost, use it till end of year.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:27:21 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »

I got my daughter  a Moto G5 for Christmas. I have an Elephone P9000 bought from China for £200, had pretty much everything  including wireless charging. Only problem with Chinese phones is lack of decent cases rather strangely.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »

Before I pulled trigger my tech itchiness came back.

S7 now ordered albeit used. (before the below occurred). (not from EE whos business dealings with me right now are on very shaky ground).

But the police are now interested again and even apologised for what was said to me earlier, they following things up now with the guy who found the phone, and my phone is apparently in the post as well. 

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 10:43:57 PM »

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you were indeed watched. :(

Get Cerberus installed on the phone this time, as a system app if you can. At least it will give you a chance to track the device.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.
Pages: [1] 2 3