Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I'd use MDWS but.....  (Read 1813 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
I'd use MDWS but.....
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »

I don't have the inclination or aptitude to set up RPi, and there are already plenty of plugs working from the wall sockets and associated extension leads. Of course that means computer off= no stats.

Another  bout of instability since powering up on return from a 4 day break until interleaving was imposed has made me think if keeping computer on 365/24/7 is now  to be considered or not. Will always-on shorten the computer life of a modern computer?

I'm also thinking of getting rid of filters, whether or not I go fibre,but need to see cost of getting someone in for that and upgrading the in the in-wall extension to Cat 5e?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: I'd use MDWS but.....
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »

A PC on 24/7 actually usually is better for parts than a on/off state as power cycles cause the highest levels of stress on its components.

So dont worry about longevity for a pc been on 24/7.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: I'd use MDWS but.....
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »

+1
My Acer Laptop is on 24/7 to run DSLstats.
Also my hardware firewall (home built using Smoothwall ) is on 24/7/365, this new one has been running for last two years and the one before that about 6 years, with the only down time for getting any dust out/maintenance . :cool:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything