Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: MS + Ext ..help!  (Read 17461 times)

tuk

Re: MS + Ext ..help!
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 07:28:47 PM »

Does it have a single wire running to it?
Yes.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2017, 07:36:14 PM »

Is it fed by the BT drop cable?

tuk

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »

A single cable comes from the pole outside, in through window, terminates on junction box, single cable from junction box to master socket.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2017, 08:06:12 PM »

Junction box. Is that the first time you've mentioned that?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »

You need 4 WIRES which can be contained within 1 CABLE. Connect 2 wires to data extension terminals in master socket and 2 wires to terminals 2&5 on removable faceplate. At extension you need 2 sockets, an RJ11 for the data and a phone socket for telephony.
This, and only this. 2 Master sockets is a no.
CW1308 is the only cable you need. It's 4 core/2 pair. 1 pair carries the DSL signal, the other voice. The A+B terminals on the MK faceplates are designed to carry a DSL signal to another location.

You DO NOT need a master socket with a filtered faceplate in the new location. The DSL is already filtered from the existing master sockets faceplate.

Sync drop should be very small if you use good quality cable. Changing line length from 500m to 510m (random example) should make next to no difference.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:25:53 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2017, 10:34:13 PM »

Hasn't got an NTE5A/B/C master socket

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »

I've been checking back through the history of this forum and have found a pertinent thread begun on March 17, 2008, 18:20:49 (and so before my "re-homing" here) --

"Wierd BT Master Box setup..need advice!!!!"
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tuk

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2017, 08:34:45 AM »

I've been checking back through the history of this forum and have found a pertinent thread begun on March 17, 2008, 18:20:49 (and so before my "re-homing" here) --

"Wierd BT Master Box setup..need advice!!!!"

A 9 year old thread is pertinent to this one?

Don't worry if the answers aren't forthcoming after 4 pages it's probably never going to happen, especially when admin go into troll mode rather than helping, I will find another forum.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »

The 9 year old thread looks highly pertinent to me (unless you've moved house since?).
There is no definitive 'answer' to your issue, but you've been given a number of very sensible options by people who very much know what they're talking about.
It sounds rather like you already had an 'answer' in mind before you asked, and it isn't one of the suggested ones?
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tuk

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »

There is no definitive 'answer' to your issue, but you've been given a number of very sensible options by people who very much know what they're talking about.
It sounds rather like you already had an 'answer' in mind before you asked, and it isn't one of the suggested ones?
I think the trouble is you've forgotten what my question was, as I didn't ask for "options" in the OP.

I did ask for someone to check my shopping list to install both a master socket and an extension, that is all, nothing more.

Which means details on the existing master socket are totally irrelevant.
Which means an unrelated 9 year old thread is irrelevant.
Which means talk of junction boxes is irrelevant.

It sounds rather that too many posters are answering questions they have in their mind rather than the questions asked in the OP.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »

Everyone is trying to help you to arrange the wiring so you get the best combined performance from your broadband and your telephone, and that is why questions have been asked and different options suggested.
If you go ahead and buy the items on your shopping list then you will in all likelihood get a working solution, but it may not work as well as it could if you did it a different way.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tuk

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 09:28:31 AM »

If you go ahead and buy the items on your shopping list then you will in all likelihood get a working solution, but it may not work as well as it could if you did it a different way.
I don't see anyone suggesting a different + better working solution that meets the requirements of the OP than a new master socket and secondary/extension box.  What post number is that?

Does an ancient master socket work better than a new master socket?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:34:31 AM by tuk »

runitdirect

• run-IT-direct Online
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »

I am confused now as to exactly what I need to buy...

I need a new master socket(only phone required) + an extension/secondary socket for both phone and broadband.
I've already answered above, it doesn't get any simpler! Assuming you have an incoming line currently terminated to one master socket you need to replace that with a Mk4 :-

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/mk4btopenreachvdslsocket/

You may need a back box if you don't already have one :-

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/euro-faceplates-backboxes/22mmbackbox/

That will give you a new filtered master socket for your phone. For the extension you just need this kit :-

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/vdsl-adsl-extension-kits/vdslextensionkit10m/

& add the telephone option at the bottom of the page. That gives you an extension socket with filtered telephone & unfiltered broadband. Job done!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 09:45:01 AM »

I would suggest everyone stops contributing to this topic. The OP has obviously made his mind up on how he wants to do it and isn't prepared to listen to the advice being given, nor provide us with the details of the existing sockets etc. which would allow us to recommend the best way forward (technically and economically). If we do answer his questions and it all goes wrong he's likely to start blaming us.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

runitdirect

• run-IT-direct Online
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »

This shows you don't understand the requirements, so you are just confusing the issue.
There is nothing to confuse, it's really very simple.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

anything