Chat > Tech Chat

Who here has a Smart Meter for electricity or gas?

(1/13) > >>

broadstairs:
My electricity supplier is pestering me to have my meter replaced and obviously they want me to have a smart one, however my wife hates the idea and I can see zero benefit. Apparently they are saying that my current meter is getting to its end of life, however its not that old and was replaced only a few years ago.

So I am interested in knowing any experiences here from having one, particularly what if any issues have arisen with one? I have no idea what technology they use, is it wireless via the home internet, does it use the mobile phone network, or like my water meter is it read by a guy driving past in a van? I know they do cause problems if you switch in that not all meters from all suppliers are the same.

Stuart

Dray:
They're phoning me all the time asking when I want them fitted. I don't and I'm beyond repeating that so I just hang up. If they somehow angle a way of having them fitted I'll have to move to another supplier, Bulb for example who don't yet use them.

roseway:
I'm also receiving repeated nagging, both from the supplier and from the installer (Siemens). I don't trust 'smart' meters, I've heard too many horror stories.

gt94sss2:
We don't have them at the moment and if I was offered one, I would turn it down until the latter half of next year

The first generation of smart meters are known as SMETS 1 (Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications), They communicate with your supplier over the 3G network.

As you've picked up, if you change supplier, its likely they will turn back to dumb meters and lose any 'smart' functionality.

SMETS 2 meters are due to rollout in 2018 (some suppliers are trialling them now). They use their own central data network which all suppliers have (or will have) access to. So, when you switch, your new supplier should be able to see your usage and meter readings etc.

Hence, if you don't want to change meters often wait for SMETS2 meters. There was some talk of trying to upgrade SMETS1 meters to be more like SMETS2 but many think they will need to replaced with new ones.

More generally, I believe electric meters have a shorter lifespan than the older mechanical models..

sevenlayermuddle:
What put me off was some very faint, easily missed, grey on white lettering on the reverse of the letter they sent me.   So far as I recall it said, by accepting a smart meter, I was agreeing to these hard to read changes in T&C.  If they are still doing that, the changes are worth reading, even if a magnifying glass and bright torch are required.

One change that alarmed me iirc off was that they wanted to have the right to remotely disconnect me.  No explanation was offered as to how that new term differed from their existing rights, but they must have had a reason for trying to make me agree to it.

I also seem to recall there may also have been some wording suggesting that I must keep the display panel in an operational state in a visible place.   I’d have wanted the option to remove the batteries and consign it to the back of a cupboard if I found I wasn’t liking it.

Since I am deeply mistrustful of the energy network operators, I have so far refused to accept one and so far, been successful.  But I fear that when an old ‘dumb’ meter reaches end of life, they may well be entitled to replace it with a smart one, your only option being to do without the gas or electric supply. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version